HomeRoom is Y Combinator backed residential real estate marketplace that simplifies remote investing and streamlines affordable renting. Our platform currently has over 1,000 units in 31 cities across 6 major metros. We’ve housed thousands of people in HomeRooms, and we expect to house tens of thousands by 2025.
Take a virtual tour of one of our homes here --> https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=VV2G8KBxmMk
We want to be in every major metro in the US in the next five years.
We believe cities are best when people can actually afford to live there, and our goal is to be an instrumental part of housing innovation to make that happen at scale. We move incredibly fast while remaining dedicated to our mission - to change the way people rent.
About the Role:
As a Fractional CFO/Controller, you will provide part-time strategic financial oversight and management to our company. In this critical position, you will report directly to the CEO and be responsible for leading our Argentina-based FP&A and Accounting teams, while maintaining close collaboration with our bookkeeping team in the Philippines.
Financial Management & Strategy:
- Partner with the CEO to define objectives related to accounting, month-end procedures, and provide support in operational analysis including pricing and underwriting.
- Oversee the Profit & Loss and Balance Sheet processes, emphasizing the transition to pass-through accounts.
Team Management & Development:
- Lead the FP&A and Accounting teams, ensuring seamless communication between them and the CEO.
- Evaluate and improve team organization, structure, and workflows.
- Recognize areas for capacity building and determine if additional resources are needed.
- Mentor the team Manager, guiding their development as head of finance.
- Actively identify and execute improvements in accounting processes to enhance operational efficiency.
- Lead initiatives to refine processes with the existing staff, ensuring optimal performance.
- Overhaul and fine-tune the tenant repair billing process, ensuring precise and prompt billing. This involves close collaboration with the Operational team to synchronize processes and set expectations.
- Previous experience in a controller or senior financial role.
- Previous experience in a fractional role - with similar reporting structure
- Proficiency working with international finance teams.
- Robust team management and mentoring skills, with the ability to provide strategic and practical guidance.
Proven ability to foster stability within teams and create contingency plans for uninterrupted operations.
- Demonstrated proficiency in delivering valuable insights into company budgets, financial models, and unit economics.
- Effective collaboration skills with executive and cross-functional teams.
- Adeptness in process enhancement and operational support.
- Experience in FP&A, advanced Excel capabilities, financial modeling, and financial process engineering.
- Knowledge in optimizing accounting workflows within QuickBooks and Excel.
- Willingness, eagerness and ability to get hands dirty and get into processes as needed to fully understand and improve them.
- Background in property technology startups, especially those involving property management.
- Background in big 4 accounting, investment banking or FP&A
- Experience with Seed-stage startups operating on a limited budget.
- Expertise in ad hoc reporting; prior experience as a high-end analyst is advantageous.
- Native Spanish speaking ability.
Note: This role is part-time. Specifics regarding work duration and frequency will be addressed during the interview process.