Role: Head of Engineering
Job Type: Full Time (Hybrid)
Reporting: Chief Technology Officer
Vendease is an e-procurement platform for B2B clients in Africa, with a mission to ensure restaurants are free to focus on catering for their customers. We take the problem of food supply- availability and quality of restaurant owners, so that they can focus on serving their customers. As an online marketplace, we give restaurants the opportunity to buy everything they need remotely and seamlessly from anywhere in the world.
About the Role
The Head of Engineering is a VP role and presides over the entire Frontend, Mobile, Backend, DevSecops, IT Shared Services, Program Management, Data and Insights, Research and Innovation departments. This role drives the vision, design, strategy, and implementation of integrated web systems in order to support the business. The Head of Engineering leads the development teams and collaborates with other business departments in sales, marketing, revenue, business development, supply chain and finance in order to roll out new solutions, systems and implement the ongoing process improvements of the current systems. He/she is also responsible for:
- Providing technical leadership to all engineering and development areas
- Developing and executing an engineering strategy for the company
- Leading the development and implementation of new product features
- Managing and mentoring a team of leads and engineering managers
- Maintaining relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Generate technical and process improvements
- Drive world class innovation within Engineering team
- Identify the balance between the immediate and long term impact of technical direction and guides the global organization to execution in this balance
- Be a technical, architectural, and career development mentor for the global team of engineers, team leads and engineering managers
- Author architecture documents for epics, coordinate the interaction between architectural directions across the engineering organization
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance that impact all of Engineering at vendease.
- Solve technical problems of the highest scope and complexity for the entire organization.
- Exert significant influence on the overall objectives and long-range goals of Vendease.
- Ensure that our standards for style, maintainability, and best practices are suitable for the unique problems of scale and diversity of use represented by the Vendease product. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Drive innovation across Engineering with a willingness to experiment and to boldly confront global problems of immense complexity and scope.
- Actively seek out and prioritize our toughest technical challenges with a goal of creating significant improvement for vendease's use, ease of development, and/or technical efficiency.
- Represent Vendease and its values in public communication in all aspects of our software development lifecycle and public relations. Interact with customers and other external stakeholders as a consultant and spokesperson for critical projects and aspects of our technical architecture.
- Confidently ship immense or otherwise extremely high-impact world class features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other members of the organization.
- Help create the sense of psychological safety across the global organization.
- Responsible for managing OPEX/CAPEX and technology program management on budget, time and quality
- Deliver world class cyber security programs and drive Vendease compliance with country specific data protection and privacy regulations.
- Deliver SMART strategy for AI/ML adoption across departments with traceable impact on the company revenue and ESG goals
- Minimum of Ten(10) years of work experience in a senior frontend or backend development position, preferably working as Senior Frontend Developer or a Lead Backend Developer.
- Vast experience in leading software engineering, site/software development and experience working with numerous software-industry business models inclusive of subscription, ecommerce, support and fulfillment.
- Proven track-record of consistent project delivery, and designing and developing complex, interactive consumer sites/software.
- Vast experience leading the development of consumer and developer facing products and services as well as the deployment of APIs.
- SaaS product engineering and development leader
microservice engineering lead
- Full stack Engineer; Transact SQL, Angular/React, NodeJs
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) development manager
- Experience working in a startup: Series A or B or startup acquired
- Keen eye for detail, have a constant and insatiable thirst for knowledge, and have an ability to remain calm and composed in times of uncertainty and stress, inspiring the same in his peers and juniors.
Why should you join Vendease?
Our work culture is great, we value ADVENTURE, TRANSPARENCY, EXCELLENCE, RESPECT and OWNERSHIP. We are a team of audacious Ants whose vision is to ensure that no restaurant ever goes out of business again due to capital or product issues. Our mission is simple, ensure that restaurants can focus on serving their customers. We want to take the headache of food supply and access to capital so that restaurants can continue to serve their customers.
It is not just because we are growing rapidly and want you to be part of a winning team, we are a group of intelligent Ants constantly challenging ourselves to be the best in our industry. Being part of us is an opportunity to be part of a success story, grow an outstanding career and work in a friendly-environment where you can be yourself and thrive in your chosen field.
Our benefits include but are not limited to:
- Stock Options.
- Health Insurance.
- Paid time off (maternity/paternity leave, annual leave)
- Hybrid work pattern (2 or 3 days work from home based on performance).
- Quarterly performance bonus based on company target.
- Training and development opportunities.