The Humanities, Social Science, and Communication (HSC) Department at the Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE) is seeking an Assistant Professor in the field of User Experience with a specialization in emerging technology and AI. The new faculty member would teach a variety of courses for the degree, including but not limited to mixed reality/XR, VR, AR design, design for voice, human-centered approach to designing with machine learning and AI. The faculty member is expected to contribute to the enhancement of the program strategy and curriculum, connect program graduates to external industry partnerships, and participate in the program recruitment efforts. A Master’s degree in User Experience, Human-Centered Design, Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Graphic, Multimedia or Interactive Design, Information Architecture, or other related field is required, Ph.D. is preferred. The position will be available beginning in fall of 2023. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Required Qualifications, Competencies, Knowledge, and Skills:
• Experience in any or all of the following: Design for XR, VR, AR, design for voice, AI- driven design
• Experience or interest in teaching online, hybrid, and interdisciplinary courses
Preferred Qualifications, Competencies, Knowledge, and Skills:
• Designing for AI, XR, VR, AR augmented reality, virtual reality, mixed reality, and/or voice interface.
• Familiarity with front-end development technologies.
• Experience teaching college students.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to build successful relationships with students and faculty from other departments.
The HSC Department has offices in MSOE’s Grohmann Museum, home of the Man at Work collection of industrial art. The User Experience Program is located in the Dwight and Dian Diercks Computational Science Hall with modern classrooms, innovative laboratories, and study spaces dedicated to artificial intelligence (AI), deep learning, cyber security, robotics, cloud computing and other next-generation technologies.
An institution that also offers degrees in business, nursing, user experience, and engineering, MSOE is located on the beautiful east side of downtown Milwaukee, just blocks from Lake Michigan and within easy walking distance of the city’s highly acclaimed fine arts and entertainment venues. With approximately 2500 full-time students, our campus maintains an intimate, small-town atmosphere.