Ginkgo is a high-growth, well-capitalized public biotech company in Boston that is redesigning the living world to solve some of the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our mission to “make biology easier to engineer” is poised to disrupt multiple industries by leveraging our innovative data, automation, and scale in biological engineering.
As we enter a phase where demand for Ginkgo’s services has never been higher, there is a growing need to mature processes related to cost assignment, accounting, and reporting.
Reporting to the Director of FP&A, the Associate Director FP&A and Cost Accounting will be responsible for working alongside internal and external resources to develop and implement a new-to-Ginkgo cost accounting framework.
- FP&A Business Partnership: Own divisional resource allocation, investment, financial planning, budgeting, forecasting, variance analysis, and reporting processes for our platform teams. Continuously drive improvements in clarity, accuracy, and efficiency.
- Operations Analysis + Influence: Build the financial model for Ginkgo’s platform teams. Develop scorecards, targets, and reporting that communicate financial performance and identify areas of further improvement.
- Refine and Build Cost Processes: Refine the existing cost framework and implement the roadmap of activities required to establish a sustainable activity based cost accounting (or alternative) calculation, including the establishment of procedures to set the annual cost standards. This work will build upon current processes and tools to further develop a system to collect, assign, and automate the allocation of costs (both direct and overhead) across billing items.
- Create a Cost and Profitability Reporting Cadence: Build management reporting for cost analysis of individual services, total projects, and overall company profitability.
Special Projects: Lead ad hoc initiatives as new risks and opportunities are presented to the business. As Ginkgo Bioworks is in growth mode, we work cross-functionally to support all areas of the business - even when projects fall outside of our direct expertise or functional boundary.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- 7+ years of relevant accounting, financial, or cost experience
- Experience related to costs and allocations
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills and attention to detail, with the ability to efficiently organize information, analyze large datasets, and present data in a clear and impactful manner
- Ability to define and build processes and new operating models from the ground up
Preferred Capabilities and Experience
- Biotechnology, bioprocessing and/or life sciences experience is a plus, but not required
- CPA is a plus, but not required
- Excellent project management skills, with demonstrated ability to drive cross-functional projects to completion
- Ability to build strong relationships and influence technical, business, and operational decisions
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, growth-oriented environment with minimal direction and able to adjust workload based upon changing priorities
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills, with a history of good business judgment