Constructive is a leading social impact strategy and design firm that helps advance social, environmental, and economic justice. We’re a close-knit, committed, and values-driven team of experts and advocates who partner with ambitious organizations to make the world a more fair, equitable, and sustainable place. If you’d like to get a feel for our culture, read our company values here
We are looking to add an experienced Lead Digital Strategist to our team who will play a leading role in our strategy practice, with a priority on digital and a need to also develop broader brand strategy. This role is a great fit for a seasoned strategist with a passion for social impact who has great research skills and a strong understanding of how nonprofit brands can effectively engage audiences, particularly through websites that emphasize storytelling and knowledge mobilization.
Your research, insights, and resulting strategy will be the foundation on which we design and build brand experiences that drive social impact—primarily through websites that effectively position nonprofit brands to deepen audience engagement, deliver valuable content, and drive measurable outcomes.
About the Role
Constructive’s Lead Digital Strategist will drive the discovery and development process of strategies for our social impact clients that are the foundation of the brand experiences they create. They will be great at understanding how to effectively position and strengthen a brand, the intersection of brand and audience needs/goals, and the specific outcomes and overall impact that our clients are seeking to have through our work with them.
They will lead asset discovery, stakeholder engagement, as well as desk and audience research to understand the ecosystem in which a brand exists and its challenges and opportunities. They’ll ask probing questions and make recommendations as part of brand/digital assessments. They will clarify clear goals, outcomes and KPIs for our clients and the projects we work on with them. They’ll develop strategies that are documented in Strategic Briefs that make those impacts possible at the intersection of brand, content, design, and technology. They will be a collaborative partner who works closely with members of our strategy, content, design, and engineering teams to ensure that there is a strong, connective through-line between strategy and execution. And they will play a role in building on client successes by focusing on how the results of our work are measured and optimized.
Your Core Responsibilities
- Brand/Digital Research: Audit and analyze client assets, conduct stakeholder interviews, create and analyze surveys, perform website analytics reviews, perform website assessments, conduct desk research, and other research.
- Workshop Facilitation: Design and lead strategy workshops to uncover and understand brand goals/value and online brand experience/audience engagement.
- Ideation & Recommendations: Synthesize research/discovery/workshop output into Assessments that define priorities, pose clarifying questions, provide avenues for further exploration, and make recommendations for appropriate tactics to achieve brand/digital goals.
- Client & Team Facilitation: Lead client and Constructive teams through the process of navigating information and assessment output to navigate areas of disagreement, create alignment, and establish clear goals, priorities, and KPIs.
- Strategy Development: Develop strategy documents, such as Strategy Briefs that strengthen brand positioning and value and that drive audience engagement, collaborating with Constructive team leads in other disciplines as appropriate.
- Strategic Execution Alignment: Align other Constructive team members on resulting strategy that will influence their work, and stay engaged throughout execution to ensure that our results are aligned with strategic imperatives.
- Ongoing Measurement & Optimization: Ensure digital strategy is achieving its goals by measuring KPIs and conducting A/B tests or other optimizations to help clients make progress toward those goals.
Skills & Experience You’ll Need
- A deep desire to work in the social impact space to help solve complex societal issues
- A collaborative mindset and a strong understanding of how the intersection of content, design, and technology builds brand experiences in large-scale websites
- Excellent listening skills and the ability to make people feel like they are being heard and understood
- A passion for people, brands, designed experiences, storytelling, and content engagement
- Exceptional writing skills and the ability to persuade by articulating clear and compelling ideas
- Exceptional presentation skills and the ability to keep attendees engaged and feeling confident in your recommendations
- A fast processor who can quickly see patterns, themes, and trends, and who excels at providing insights, especially in the moment during group dialogue
- A flexible mindset and an approach that treats every situation as unique, while relying on a consistent process to navigate it
- A work style that is organized and methodical in its approach to informing strategy
- Great interviewing skills and the ability to help people collectively discover not-obvious problems and come up with innovative solutions
- A very clear perspective on the outcomes you believe strategy must provide and a toolbox filled with frameworks and methodologies that you rely on to produce consistent outcomes
- A strong ability to consume and make observations and recommendations from qualitative and quantitative information
- A portfolio that showcases your approach to and results in research and strategy, definitely for website engagements, and ideally also related to brand work
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a strategist with emphasis in digital/website engagement
- Experience developing people-centered engagement strategies for content-rich websites
Nice-to-Haves That Will Make You Stand Out to Us
- A love of branding
- Proficiency with InDesign
- Experience with A/B testing
- Experience with Conversion Rate Optimization
- Experience with UX analytics (Example: CrazyEgg or Hotjar)
- Experience working with Google Analytics and/or other digital analytics platforms
- Experience with Content Strategy and Content Design
- Ability to conduct usability studies and UX research
- Knowledge of WordPress and web development processes
- Experience with SEO
- Experience with digital marketing and martech platforms
- Experience with CRM strategy and platforms
- Experience with social media strategy
What We Offer:
We do our best to make sure everyone at Constructive is taken care of with a great mix of salary, benefits and perks, opportunities for professional growth, and a healthy dose of time off. We expect this position to have a base salary between $85,000 - $100,000 based on experience and value-added skills. In addition, we offer the following robust benefits and perks.
- Health Insurance, Dental & Vision
- Defined Annual Profit Sharing Plan
- 401K With Up to 4% Company Match
- Discretionary Performance-based Bonuses
- 3 Weeks Paid Vacation
- Paid Vacation From Christmas Eve through New Year's
- Paid 1/2-day Summer Fridays (Approx 16/year)
- Paid Family Leave
- Open “Wellness” Days
- Flexible Work Schedules
- $2K Annual Professional Development Stipend
- New Client Bonuses (3% of First 12 Months of New Work You Proactively Bring In)
- Monthly Virtual Happy Hours & Games
- A Super-Aligned Team That Loves Showing Up for Each Other
- Feeling Great About Your Work Making the World a Better Place
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
We believe strongly that diversity is one of our greatest strengths—that the more perspectives we bring to the mix, the better we are as people and the better partner we are for our clients. So, in considering if Constructive is a good fit for you, know that all we care about is that you’re qualified to do the job, share most or all of our values, and want to be here. These are the things we’ll be evaluating for every applicant—and if you meet those and add to our diversity, all the better.
If you are selected for an interview here is what you can expect:
- 30-45 minute interview with our Executive Director
- A 2nd 45 minute interview with our Director of Strategy|UX
- A final meeting with the rest of the Strategy|UX team