As the Engineering Manager at Phoenix, you'll balance coding and management responsibilities. This role sits at the intersection of product and engineering and is pivotal in aligning our product roadmap with commercial and technical objectives. We’re looking for someone who has a passion for collaborating with cross-functional teams, and ensuring high-quality feature delivery across all departments. You'll build, mentor, and oversee our engineering teams while serving as liaison between Phoenix's engineering team and senior directors.
- Ideally 50/50 coding vs management to start, with responsibilities on day-to-day programming decreasing as the team grows
- Liaise with leadership and product teams to maintain priorities and a product roadmap which align with commercial models, strategic objectives, and ambitious growth plans across the Phoenix product portfolio
- Work with the engineering team to implement features, maintain/improve quality, and own all the technology (including our microservices, applications, APIs, databases, etc.)
- Spend time with engineering, data science, product design, and internal stakeholder (medical, operations, customer support, etc) to identify and understand pain points and potential solutions to consistently deliver the most impactful releases for our users
- Communicate internally across all teams -from engineering to operations- to ensure everyone is prepared for each release and coordinate any additional testing requirements
- Evaluate technical risks, and create success criteria for testing and product acceptance
- Developing our product and engineering team through technical leadership, coaching, mentoring, hiring, and being the glue
- Oversee the end-to-end delivery of all features to ensure high-quality standards from design and development to testing, deployment, documentation, and maintenance
- Have 5+ years of professional programming or architect experience
- Have 3+ years of professional experience with Ruby on Rails (or a similar MVC framework)
- Strong ability to communicate complex ideas across stakeholders both technical and non-technical
- Meticulous, detail-oriented, and strong organizational skills
- Love documentation!
- Experience leading or mentoring an engineering team (large or small). You should have strong interpersonal skills with a desire to foster a fun culture of innovation while delivering value to customers
Why work with Phoenix?
- Impact & autonomy. You’ll report directly to the founders who are both senior devs and you'll have a real opportunity to build Phoenix's product
- Cool tools! We use some great software and platforms to deliver the best in care. Need something to make your job easier? We'll work with you to make it happen!
- Rewarding Mission. We're delivering the best healthcare experience to Canadians across the country.
- Fun team, local in Toronto! We are a small elite team in Downtown Toronto. Candidates must be located in the Toronto area.
How to Apply
- Sounds like you? Then join our team and make an impact! Find the link to apply below, select the corresponding position, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible!
- Apply: https://airtable.com/shrOWjZSq5YSeB6fi