We are Shuttle
We’re building a web development platform that allows developers to manage infrastructure from the same code base in which they’re writing their backends. This is a new paradigm called “Infrastructure From Code” and it is a fast growing segment of the next generation of web development in the cloud.
We’re based in London and we’re backed by YCombinator and a range of influential Silicon Valley angel and venture investors. We build in the open and we maintain popular open-source projects, especially in the Rust community. We’re engineering-lead and engineering-driven and we build exclusively for developers.
Joining us, you’ll become part of an exceptionally strong engineering team that has a long track record of building popular open-source projects and a love for new technology and hacking.
You will play a key part in shaping the future of shuttle, helping us realise the potential of Rust in the backend.
- Take ownership of the design of key parts of the platform’s virtualization and user orchestration backend, allowing it to scale to the next level (1000s to 10000s concurrent users).
- Collaborate closely with the founding team, and help shape the technical vision and take long term decisions that have impacts on the future of the platform.
- Coordinate closely with the product team, helping set realistic goals and timelines for the execution of new features and projects.
- Write architecture documents, RFCs and implement functioning PoCs that help fix design guidelines and set an example for the rest of the team to follow.
- Contribute Rust code to all parts of the shuttle platform and take ownership of large swathes of the codebase’s structure and idioms.
- We’re a 100% open-source company. You’ll help the broader Rust community and ecosystem by contributing where appropriate to upstream projects that we depend on. You’ll help in maintaining our own projects, triaging issues and helping contributors.
- 5+ years of professional experience working on the implementation and maintenance of backend services supporting web applications or IaaS/BaaS products.
- Past experience as a technical founder (YCombinator or otherwise) of a SaaS startup is a strong plus.
- Past experience leading a team of 5+ engineers, making design and architecture decisions and owning the on-time delivery of large engineering projects to specifications.
- A dedicated willingness to lead by example and find the right balance between writing a lot of code and helping unblock others.
- Advanced familiarity with the contemporary Rust crates ecosystem for asynchronous and web development: tokio, actix, async-std, futures, async/await patterns (to name a few).
- At least an intermediate level knowledge of core AWS products and edge computing (ELB, EC2, ECS, API Gateway, Lambda (@edge), etc).
- Ability to commute at least infrequently to our London office highly prefered.
- Familiarity with WebAssembly is a plus.