Our small (nine-member) engineering team works in a collaborative, high-trust environment where we ship high-quality software to power CommonLit's curriculum and to assist teachers in assessing their students' growth. As a Senior Software Engineer, you'll lead significant technical projects, contribute your own code, review teammates' work, and advance CommonLit's mission.
You'll act as a force multiplier for your teammates' work in addition to your own high-leverage contributions.
Our team is a group of life-long learners. We value sharing new ideas, lifting each other up, and building performant, reliable software that teachers can rely on in the high-stress classroom environment.
- Writing high-quality Ruby and Typescript code and tests for our Ruby on Rails monolith
- Reviewing your teammates' work in our code review workflow
- Researching technical ideas for upcoming projects
- Mentoring and helping level-up less experienced engineers on the team
- Assisting the CTO with longer-term efforts
- Deploying and operating our application in production
- 5-8+ years of web development experience with some of that time spent on a Ruby on Rails production application
- Ability to work comfortably in SQL (we use PostgreSQL and Redshift)
- Experience dealing with performance and scaling issues
- You live in (and will be working from) the United States and have work authorization
- You have a commitment to improving equity of opportunity for students of color
The Interview Process
Interviewing is a demand on your time. Here's what you can expect from our interview process:
- A call with a senior engineer to talk about your experience and learn about CommonLit
- A 45-60 minute technical interview over Zoom with two engineers (we rotate the interviewers and change members of the pair to ensure consistent leveling of expectations)
- Finalists will be invited for a ~4-hour final interview including pairing with CommonLit engineers, an architecture discussion, and meeting our Product team
CommonLit's engineering team is distributed. Due to restrictions on data access, you must work from within the United States. We have an office in Washington, DC that you can work from if you're in the area, but most of our team is spread out around the country.
This position is only open to US residents and work in this role can only be performed within the United States.