The shipping industry accounts for ~3% of global CO2 emissions. If it were a country, it would rank above Germany (the 6th largest emitter in the world).
Currently, there’s no solution for ships to go 100% clean. Alternative power sources like hydrogen, ammonia, and onboard batteries are still 10-20 years away from maturity for large ships.
Seabound is a London-based climate tech startup that captures CO2 emissions from ships.
We are building a retrofittable device that traps the CO2 from a ship’s exhaust gas. It has the potential to be one of the simplest, safest, and most affordable solutions for zero-emissions shipping.
Earlier this year, we proved the concept on land and secured 6 LOIs (Letters of Intent) from major shipowners to purchase our systems from 2024 onwards. This summer, we will demonstrate our first capture unit at sea with additional deployments to follow soon after.
Roles and responsibilities
The Founders’ Associate will play a critical role to support Seabound’s founders on a day to day basis within this fast-changing startup. This could include owning sub-components of the upcoming ship-based pilot projects, leading brand new initiatives and workstreams, and supporting the founders on an ad-hoc basis. Notably, this is the first-ever non-engineering hire onto the Seabound team, and comes at an exciting time in which the company is transitioning from the prototyping phase to commercialization. The responsibilities you own will directly contribute to shaping a brand new category of technology for the shipping industry and preventing greenhouse gas emissions from entering the atmosphere.
What You’ll Do:
- Own the shipment and delivery of component parts, machinery, and materials for Seabound’s upcoming ship-based carbon capture pilot, including liaising with supply chain experts and procurement specialists where needed
- Support the day-to-day operational responsibilities for the pilot project e.g. booking team travel and accommodation, securing clearance to visit the ship, etc.
- Identify and recommend opportunities to improve existing operating procedures e.g. to save time for the Seabound founders and broader team
- Conduct research and analysis for new initiatives within Seabound e.g. to develop supply chain partnerships (e.g. for the procurement of materials), pursue new customer segments, prioritize markets, etc.
- Business development:
- Support business development activities such as through preparing presentations, case studies, proposals, etc.
- Monitor and support the CEO with inbound communications for the company
- Draft external communications for the company such as newsletter, press releases, etc.
- Manage Seabound social media channels
- Anything else that needs to be done in an early-stage startup
Skills and requirements
We are looking for:
- 2-4+ years’ experience in operations, management consulting, business development, or related professions
- The ideal candidate would be based in London, but this person could also work remotely from a similar time zone
- Some international travel may be required e.g. potentially up to 2-4 weeks at a time
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; the ability to interface effectively with the founders, technical team members, key stakeholders, suppliers, and contractors
- Outstanding organizational skills with a strong attention to detail and high tech fluency (i.e. comfortable with picking up new software tools)
- A proactive mindset with a strong bias to action and creative problem solving skills
- Someone who is results-driven, analytical, highly reliable, and eager to invent and simplify current processes and practices
- Ability to operate effectively with high degrees of ambiguity and uncertainty, and to execute tasks against tight timelines and aggressive schedules
- Drive, enthusiasm, curiosity, and a rapid ability to learn
- Passion for tackling the climate crisis
Seabound is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and strive to create an environment that is inclusive to all employees.
The compensation range provided is only indicative and commensurates with the level of experience and location.