As a senior software engineer, you will help build and scale the systems and services that form the foundation of Alpaca and empower millions of users that are trading billions of dollars worth of assets.
The clearing team is responsible for building a modern clearing and settlements platform. Alpaca is a participant in a market where over two trillion dollars worth of equities need to be cleared and settled on a daily basis. We are tackling the industry with a modern approach on building highly scalable, event driven systems where resilient engineering, scale, and performance can have critical advantages.
We have exciting plans for the team; self-clearing is just the first step in building end-to-end financial infrastructure as we continue to prove ourselves as an innovative market leader and a core component for our growth across global markets and asset classes.
We are looking for senior engineers who are keen on providing quality solutions, have great fundamentals, proven experience building and architecting at scale, and not afraid of challenging conventions or voicing their opinions. In this role, you will have the autonomy to design and implement solutions to achieve defined goals while actively participating in defining those goals. An understanding of cloud-based modern architecture, infrastructure, and orchestration practices are also great assets we actively look for.
Things You Get To Do:
- Contribute to a core system that millions of end users will rely on
- Work on self-clearing and help us join the elite club of self-clearing brokers
- Implement backend services and work on designing an architecture where reliability matters
- Take ownership of tasks, identify and address technical challenges proactively, and propose innovative solutions
- Contribute to architectural decisions, offering insights and suggestions for designing scalable and reliable systems
- Work with other teams to improve how our systems interact with theirs and improve Alpaca systems in general
- Maintain good software quality and test coverage
- Participate in code reviews
- Troubleshooting on incidents and reported bugs
- You may be asked to be on-call to assist with engineering projects that are timely in nature
Who You Are (Must-Haves):
- Strong problem-solving skills paired with a proactive mindset
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- A preference for simple and elegant solutions
- At least 3 years of experience working on systems at scale
- Proven experience in building and maintaining microservices
- Strong coding skills, preferably in Go
- Ability to write clean, well tested, and maintainable code
- Experience with domain driven design and event driven design
- Ability to debug issues or better yet, foresee problems and avoid them entirely
- Familiarity with containerization and orchestration technologies, especially Kubernetes
- Experience with cloud platforms, preferably Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with messaging queues and message brokers
- Experience with relational databases, preferably PostgreSQL
Who You Might Be (Nice-to-Haves):
- Previous experience in the financial industry or knowledge of clearing and settlement processes
- Experience with DTCC integration
- Experience working remotely
- Experience working at a startup
- DevOps mindset is an asset
How We Take Care of You:
- Competitive Salary & Stock Options
- Benefits: Health benefits start on day 1. In the US this includes Medical, Dental, Vision. In Canada, this includes supplemental health care. Internationally, this includes a stipend value to offset medical costs.
- New Hire Home-Office Setup: One-time USD $500
- Monthly Stipend: USD $150 per month via a Brex Card
- Work with awesome hard working people, super smart and cool clients and innovative partners from around the world
Alpaca is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.