👋 Thanks for stopping by and learning more about this role at Sitemate! ✨🏗️
We’d love to hear from you 🙂 👩💻👩🏽💻🧑🏿💻👨🏻💻
Brief overview of this role at Sitemate:
- We're looking for a full-stack software engineer to join our engineering team, responsible for developing billing infrastructure and supporting authentication across all our products at Sitemate.
- This role is a perfect match if you have experience building billing infrastructure on platforms like Stripe or similar vendors.
- Whether you've thrived in startups or led your own venture, if you're ready for a fast-paced environment that values product and engineering, this role is ideal for you. Your level of experience matters less than your enthusiasm to take on more responsibility and make a significant impact.
- You will have opportunities such as becoming a senior and foundational member of our engineering team.
- As a member of the Sitemate Start team, you'll contribute to supporting billing and revenue infrastructure with direct engagement, collaboration, and communication with our Head of Product, CTO, and CEO.
- Based: Remote (Australia, Asia Pacific or Americas region only due to timezone requirements)
- Remuneration - pending experience level
- Level 1: A$70k - A$90k
- Level 2: A$90k - A$130k
- Level 3: A$130k - A$180k
What does Sitemate do, exactly?
- Sitemate builds best in class software products for the built world.
- Industrial companies operating in the built world are facing a number of mission critical challenges - changes in work behaviour due to covid-19, Generation Z starting to enter the workforce as mobile first users of software, and the drastic shift away from traditional mining to renewable energy projects such as wind farms and solar farms.
- See here an example solar farm project that is powered by Sitemate: https://newenglandsolarfarm.com.au/the-project/
- Our first product - Dashpivot, is a platform where industrial style companies streamline and standardise their processes in a new digital format. This new digital format enables them to complete and track work in the field on a mobile or tablet, and automate repetitive tasks and tracking through automated workflows and real-time analytics.
See some of our user reviews for Dashpivot here:
Why should I consider joining Sitemate?
- Check out Sitemate’s team at the 2022 offsite: https://youtu.be/DEPrINm_6So
- You can see what people really think about working at Sitemate here: https://www.glassdoor.com.au/Overview/Working-at-Sitemate-EI_IE3008131.11,19.htm
- Listen to CEO Hartley Pike speak about the company’s founding and broader Go To Market strategy: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6980676710161661952/
- Listen to CTO Tim Bray speak about building high quality features that solve customer problems at Sitemate: Building High Quality Features That Solve Customer Problems at SiteMate
- We have equal opportunity for applicants of all genders, ethnicity and sexualities - Sitemate's team is proudly diverse.
- You will have flexible working options - our team is a blend of fully remote and hub offices. People based in hub cities typically work in the office 2-3 days per week, and 2-3 days working from home.
- You will be remunerated based on your performance. If you are performing well, you won’t need to wait 3 years or have to find better offers elsewhere to receive an increase to your remuneration. Seven out of the last ten remuneration increases for Sitemate team members have been made pro-actively by management, without the individual needing to even raise the topic of remuneration.
- You will get a laptop and a budget to set up your home office (standing desk, monitor, headphones etc).
- You will be able to attend company-sponsored training, workshops or conferences.
- You will have visibility into the standardised career development plan for your role, and access to a professional learning and development budget.
- You will get equity options and ownership in Sitemate on a standard vesting schedule. See here a general overview of how this works:https://legalvision.com.au/5-essential-elements-employee-share-scheme/
- Sitemate has grown from 5 people in 2018 to now over 80, and we’re moving into the next stage of growing past 100! We have a product that customers are strongly engaged with, and every month we get around >400 new leads whilst spending $0 on marketing and 0 cold calling.
- Sitemate’s founders have diverse backgrounds - one coming from engineering on major infrastructure projects; the second coming from product and graphic design. This brings a unique perspective internally where we blend deep industry experience with a passion (obsession) for modern best practices in product design.
- Sitemate graduated from Australia’s #1 Technology Company Accelerator - Startmate (complete coincidence on the names… 😅)
- Sitemate has strong financial backing from Blackbird (Australia and NZ’s #1 VC) and Shearwater Growth Capital.
What is the working environment like at Sitemate?
- We are very transparent - monthly Allhands meetings provide the team with direct insight into team updates, hiring plans and key metrics (NPS, Revenue, Financial Performance). During this Allhands meeting we also hear one ‘life story’ from one of our team - learning about different countries and cultures around the world.
- We place an extremely high value on your time - you won’t be spending your days wasting time on fighting internal systems, botched together spreadsheet processes or data entry. We use best in class systems that are seamlessly integrated to deliver our team the right information at the right time, allowing them to get their work done efficiently and to a very high standard.
- You will have a core and close team around you, but will also be exposed to and working directly with multiple departments.
- You will have a high degree of autonomy, as the focus is on outcomes and not hours. If you want to block off a few hours to run a personal errand - no worries. If you want to block off an hour to pick up the kids from school - no worries. No one will be monitoring your time.
- We are constantly working to minimise the number of group meetings - daily check-ins are all done asynchronously each morning. But spontaneous 1:1s or small sessions are strongly encouraged!
- You will always have the support you need to do your job. Everyone you work with at Sitemate will gladly take time out of their work to help or give advice if you need it.
What will I be doing day to day in this role?
- You will be working as a Full Stack engineer who will tackle global initiatives (auth, sso, billing and revenue) across several products at Sitemate.
- Since 2018, we have been managing customer billing manually. We used no-code tools like chargebee to experiment and test different pricing options whilst going through the product market fit journey.
- This had many advantages, as it allowed us to test 10-15 different pricing variations over 3-4 years of discovery. However, as of the current scale, we’d need to automate manual tasks around billing and auditing. Your role would be to help automate the process alongside the other engineers.
- For the first couple of months, you will pick up some ‘warm up’ tasks to help you familiarise yourself with our systems and processes, as well as our existing functionality. You will also be getting involved in the planning and optimising billing for our customers and eliminating manual tasks.
- Your journey starts with familiarising yourself with our systems and processes, followed by active involvement in planning and development. As the project evolves, you'll play a key role in developing new features and resolving challenges.
- You’ll be working closely with our delivery team (Product Owner & QA Engineers), product team and broader engineering team on both delivering on the project and contributing to decision making around company-wide engineering issues.
- You will assist our delivery team with diagnosing any production issues by investigating bugsnag and datadog logs, and then creating hotfix releases accordingly.
What will be the biggest challenges for me in this role?
- Early stage project - so there will be unknown unknowns.
- Working with many other SaaS product’s APIs - likely of different quality standards.
- Architecting for durability - ensuring that data is queued mid-flight if a service goes offline either end of the automation flow (either ours or a 3rd party connected application).
- Architecting for backwards compatibility - many variables with our own API versioning and 3rd party SaaS product’s APIs constantly changing.
- You’ll be working in a high performing team and directly with our most senior team members - who will have high expectations of the person who joins to work on this project.
What kind of skills and experience do I need to have? (Ideally most but not all)
- Experience with building billing infrastructure with APIs like Stripe.
- Experience with building no/low code automation product(s) preferred.
- Experience with AWS products preferred.
- Broader non-technical understanding of the open API ecosystem, best practices and trends.
It looks like Sitemate works in industrial verticals like construction and renewable energy, do I need to have industry experience in these areas in order to be successful?
Definitely not! We have team members from Tourism, Online Gaming and Hospitality. We will provide the necessary training and systems to learn about the different industries we work in, and there are multiple team members internally who are from our customer’s industries.