We are looking for a part-time Senior Developer to join our team. If you are interested, please send in your CV, links to your github repository and a cover letter by 16th October to [email protected]
We design playful participation tools for our public and digital spaces, civic processes and wicked problems. From reimagined futures to alternative infrastructures, we design for collective imagination and play.
We founded Free Ice Cream in 2016. We are a small, remote-first design studio using game design methodologies to put play and participation into physical and digital spaces. Our outputs span software and physical tech and all of our work is driven by social purpose.
In just the last year our work has included:
How we work
- The development of a street game engaging people in public space surveillance.
- A tool for mapping relationships in place-based communities
- Delivery of an after-dark cross-the-city game for young people about the climate crisis
- Prototyping a community-led mapping tool for exploring wellbeing in urban planning
We currently have a Junior Developer and are looking to hire a part time Senior Developer to the team. The developer team will work closely with Simon Johnson, Co-Director, who is a full-stack developer and oversees the company’s technical development. This role is remote-first but ideally you would be happy to spend occasional days at our studio in Berlin.
We are based between Bristol, London and Berlin and supported by Slack, Zoom and Asana. We work flexible hours structured around core hours each day. We are a close-knit team who value human connection: we listen to, and learn from all our team members. For the right developer we will create a role that is more than just writing code: we value creative and strategic input from developers. Ultimately you might be interested in helping to expand the company’s capabilities by taking a lead position in the company as we grow.
If you are a developer who wants to work on ethically driven projects and make beautiful things that get used, then you should consider working with us.
Portfolio to include:
- Demonstrable experience using NodeJS ecosystem in a professional context
- Demonstrable commitment to good development practice ○ Including but not limited to Git, mentoring others, pragmatic DevOps, generating documentation
- Serious engagement with data: processing, ethics, compliance.
- Experience of working with test-driven development
- Adoption of third-party REST APIs
- Experience with node-based CRM implementations and/or authentication+authorisation services such as Auth0
- Experience with WebSockets and RPC paradigm
- Experience with Kubernetes deployments
- Experience with Svelte
- Experience with maintaining codebases
Part time (2 to 3 days per week) | Initial 6 month contract with option to renew | Competitive day rate | Ideally Berlin based with occasional hybrid working
A large part of our current work is creating toolkits that can collaboratively map community knowledge before making those datasets playable. We have one toolkit that is funded and being rolled out across the UK, one that is fully prototyped, and one at an earlier proof of concept stage. All are underpinned by the same system, and we are looking for this developer role to help us grow this system and add new features to the service as our user groups evolve.
Some initial work will include:
- Extending the functionality of the dashboard / API to include several new features
- Feeding into the design of and then developing a new project creation tool.
- Integrating GIS features in to our custom data maps
- Building unit tests
We value diversity and welcome all applications regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion/belief, physical abilities, age, sexual orientation and identity. Interested? Have questions? Get in touch at [email protected]