The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers in government, international institutions, the private sector, and civil society. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of more than 200 employees working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
CSIS’s iDeas Lab, the award-winning creative and digital production department at CSIS, seeks a highly motivated and creative self-starter to join our dynamic and fast-paced environment as a Senior Digital Product Designer starting immediately.
The iDeas Lab enhances CSIS's policy research and analysis with the latest in cutting-edge web technologies, design, and video. Learn more about our work here https://www.csis.org/programs/dracopoulos-ideas-lab or https://www.github.com/CSIS-iLab.
The position will work closely with the iDeas Lab, External Relations, and a range of CSIS programs on creative digital projects that tell compelling public policy stories. The position oversees and is involved in all aspects of digital product design. Projects include but are not limited to issue-focused websites, dynamic data visualizations, interactive features, long-form media-rich digital reports, and other web products and rich media packages. You will work in a creative environment with other developers, designers, and producers who are eager to bring information to life on the web and across platforms, partnering with some of the most respected foreign policy experts and researchers.
The ideal candidate has excellent communication, technical, web design, UX/UI, and project management skills; is innovative and agile, with an eye towards emerging platforms; eager to bring complex policy issues to life using digital platforms; and a drive to enhance both their skill-set and the Center’s approach to digital products and publishing. The successful candidate will have strong problem-solving skills and be a self-starter, coupled with an aptitude for design and a passion for bridging the intersection between design and technology. Additionally, the candidate will be a strong team player who will thrive in working and partnering closely with a creative multi- and cross- disciplinary team and a range of subject-matter experts, have the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced and innovative environment while meeting tight deadlines, and possess strong leadership skills.
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to, the following• Collaborate, brainstorm, and strategize with project team members and Program stakeholders.
• Collaborate with iDeas Lab leadership to define project priorities and roadmap.
• Work closely with Program stakeholders to identify their objectives and audiences, developing a product vision and strategy.
• Prepare and present concepts/work to stakeholders, articulating design thinking and decisions to non-designers and content experts.
• Produce design deliverables (sitemaps, wireframes, full-fidelity visual comps, UI component libraries, custom graphics (static and animated), etc.) as specified by the project.
• Document design decisions and formulate development specifications.
• Test and review front-end development output.
• Coordinate across teams (developers, designers, video/audio producers, copyeditors) on longform digital products to oversee the production and implementation of visual assets, ensuring a unified vision and aesthetic within a product.
• Provide visual, strategic, and organizational recommendations, acting as a design resource for Program partners.
• Maintain resources and build and practices to help improve the team’s processes.
• Help lead formal and informal design critique sessions. Encourage team participation. Provide constructive feedback.
• 3+ years of experience in UX/UI design.
• Expert understanding of UX best practices and design principles.
• Advanced-level knowledge of design and prototyping tools, such as Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch and/or Figma.
• Excellent command of visual design capabilities, including composition, layout, information hierarchy, typography, and color discernment.
• Ability to create in a wide range of media web, social, email, print.
• Strong understanding of the website design and development process, including working knowledge of HTML/CSS, taxonomies and content types, the Wordpress platform, mobile responsive design, accessibility standards.
• Excellent knowledge of UX/UI best practices and experience with user interface design patterns, UCD methodologies, and common UX challenges.
• Ability to receive feedback gracefully, knowing how to respond appropriately to client concerns and how to iterate and improve designs based on feedback.
• Experience using Notion.
• Strong interest in global affairs and public policy is a plus.
• Link to online portfolio.