HyperDX is looking for our first Founding Engineer to help build the next evolution of developer-first, open-source observability. You're someone who's excited to improve how developers fix production issues and rethink how observability products are built - from the ground up.
We're still incredibly early on our journey, but have already captured a huge amount of interest from the wider developer community, from reaching 5k Github stars in a few weeks post-launch, to the hundreds of teams signing up for HyperDX in the cloud.
If you haven't yet, you can learn a bit about our product and code via our repo: https://github.com/hyperdxio/hyperdx
The DX in our name stands for Developer Experience - and optimizing for developers is core to our entire product and business.
- You'll be hands-on building out any and all parts of the product, with a focus on building the best developer experience possible to bring a developer from incident or bug, to root cause and resolution.
- You'll be working with the founders on everything from vision and roadmap, to meaty scaling challenges and UX/DX design sessions.
- You'll be directly engaging our amazing community of customers, open source contributors, and users - closely listening to their feedback and actioning on them quickly or giving them a hand when they get stuck. Most of them live directly in our Slack or Discord community.
- You'll be solving hard technical problems, from building durable SDKs for a variety of languages/platforms (from Node, Deno, RoR, Java, etc.) to helping effectively scale out our ingestion pipeline and Clickhouse cluster.
- You love thinking about how developer tools can be made better - rather than settling for the status quo.
- 5+ years of experience as an Engineer, preferably leading the technical direction of a developer tool product.
- Strong proficiency in Typescript for both our Next.js frontend and Express backend.
- Proficient in SQL to do query generation for our Clickhouse DB.
- Comfortable with Docker/containers and familiar with Kubernetes or other container orchestration platforms.
- Experienced in both frontend and backend development. We expect the bulk of our work to be on the backend, but you'll need to be comfortable to implement a solid first cut of the UI on your own.
- You're comfortable with ambiguity - you love to take big ideas and execute on them independently, but can collaborate with the team and customers when needed.
- You love to move quickly and ship iteratively to solve customer problems, while acknowledging the explicit tradeoffs being made.
- You love building alongside an open source community.
- Deep experience with distributed systems, particularly scaling high-volume event ingestion pipelines and columnar data stores (ex. Clickhouse, Druid).
- Opinionated in observability tooling today - and know where they can get 10x better.
- Curious about other languages and platforms, to help build/maintain our next iteration of integrations for anything from Rust to PHP.
Currently it’s just Michael and Warren - the founders of HyperDX. We're deeply technical with a passion for building great developer tools on top of solid and scalable infrastructure.
You can learn more about our tech here: https://github.com/hyperdxio/hyperdx/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md. In production we're running on AWS and Kubernetes.
We think there's an incredibly rewarding experience ahead in re-thinking how developers are empowered when they're tasked with their next bug ticket or paged for their next incident.