CC has just wrapped up a successful 20th anniversary year and is all set to go on the next 20 years. With programs like Open Culture
, Open Climate
, and the stewardship
of the license suite, CC is still in the business of tackling big important problems.
The focus of this role is the ongoing function and consistent uptime of core CC services (including custom services on infrastructure as a services as well as platforms and software as a service). It involves support for staff hardware, and software including laptop systems, email, collaboration tools, and backups.This job reports to the Assistant Director, Technology.
- Deploy and manage servers and dependencies (ex. Apache, GNU/Linux, NGINX)
- Deploy and manage applications (ex. Django, WikiJS, WordPress)
- Manage platforms as a service (PaaS) (ex. GitHub Actions, Heroku)
- Manage software as a service (SaaS) (ex. Google Workspace, Slack)
- Deploy and manage infrastructure as code (IaC) and infrastructure as a service (IaaS) (ex. AWS, Docker, CloudFlare, SaltStack, Terraform)
- Provide direct support, troubleshooting, and training recommendations to CC staff, assisting during onboarding, with use of existing software and systems, and assist staff with evaluating new options when needed
- Manage hardware inventory (ex. staff laptops)
Project Management and Collaboration
- Manage key projects (ex. SRE Salt Prime)
- Participate in oncall rotation
- Provide support (ex. GitHub Pull Request reviews) and coverage for team members
- Mentor work program contributors (ex. Google Summer of Code, Outreachy)
- Champion working transparently in the open and contributing to a welcoming and supportive community
- Champion free/libre and open source software (FOSS)
Skills & Qualifications
- Professional experience dealing with most of the responsibilities described above
- 3+ years of work experience in a systems engineer, sysadmin, or SRE role
- Low ego, high emotional intelligence (EQ), and a mindset of continuous improvement
- Hawaii standard (UTC -10) through Atlantic standard (UTC -4) time zones
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Affinity with the open movement
- Excellent level of English (native or fluent)
We believe that diverse teams build better organizations and better services. Applications from qualified candidates from all backgrounds, including those from under-represented communities, are very welcome. Creative Commons works openly as part of a global community, guided by collaboratively developed codes of conduct and anti-harassment policies.
Work Environment and Location
At CC, we are committed to fostering a global and inclusive environment, and strive to have a diverse team that represents many backgrounds. Creative Commons has been a fully-distributed organization since 2015 — we have no central office, all positions are in a remote working environment. While we make strides for inclusivity around the world, due to employment limitations, there are still restrictions on where CC employees can be hired. Some positions can be hired on different types of agreements, but for this particular position, you must be legally permitted to work in the United States or Canada. You must have the ability to travel for necessary global meetings and events, and have high-speed broadband access. A laptop and peripherals are supplied.
Creative Commons is a leading non-profit employer, offering competitive salaries and benefits, including health and wellness plans, annual retirement contributions, and a positive, supportive work environment. The base salary range for this position is $85,000 – 95,000 USD, commensurate with relevant skills and experience.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter
as a single PDF
to “[email protected]
” with the subject heading of “Systems / [Last Name].” This position requires a background check done by CC on the successful candidate. No phone calls. No recruiters. We are looking to hire for this role ASAP, so please share this opportunity and don’t hesitate to apply.