Living Carbon is a public benefit corporation with a mission to responsibly rebalance the planet’s carbon cycle using the inherent power of plants. We believe that gigaton scale CO2 drawdown will only happen if solutions are both beneficial to the environment and profitable to landowners. We’ve developed photosynthesis-enhanced seedlings that capture carbon faster on underperforming and degraded land. In addition to improving carbon capture rates we are also working on extending the durability of nature based sequestration. We’re backed by some of the most prominent investors in Silicon Valley including Felicis Ventures, YCombinator, and Chris Sacca of LowerCarbon Capital.
If you believe that climate change is the defining global emergency of the century and want to join an ambitious project that’s working on a biological solution, we’d love to hear from you.
This is an exciting opportunity to join Living Carbon’s plant growth team! In this role you will conduct greenhouse and grow room trials to obtain research goals and support the company’s targeted goals for plant production. This role will report directly to our Greenhouse Manager.
- Work collaboratively with the team responsible for development and implementation of horticultural practices, research projects, grow room planting/cultivating, harvesting, and data collection
- Engage in day-to-day operation and maintenance of greenhouses and growth rooms, monitor greenhouse/growth room conditions, report problems, investigate solutions and collaborate with the Greenhouse Manager by making recommendations for improvements
- Support efforts to maintain integrity of experimental design and proper preparations to ensure accurate results - this accuracy is critical for the integrity of Living Carbon’s data collection and analysis
- Communicate effectively and regularly with peers and supervisors regarding the status of projects and work activities
- Flexibility with commuting between work locations
Requirements and qualifications:
- A four-year degree in horticulture related discipline and/or relevant experience and a basic understanding of biology and/or plant science is preferred
- Experience operating and maintaining greenhouses, and/or horticultural background
- Detail-oriented, with excellent diagnostic and decision-making skills, as well clear verbal and written communication skills
- Able to work independently and proceed with objectives without close supervision is critical
- Must be self-motivated, have the ability to learn and have a good work ethic
- Able to work successfully in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. Able to work individually and in group settings
- Able to work in a physically demanding environment (lifting, working in greenhouses, handling soils and plants)
- Must be results-oriented, communicative, team-oriented, innovative and flexible.
- Desired Qualifications:
- Experience handling in vitro plants through acclimation in greenhouse
- Attention to detail to include acute observational skills and their impacts in experimental design
- Experience with greenhouse management of hardwood and softwood trees
Living Carbon PBC offers competitive compensation, and generous healthcare, dental and vision insurance.
Living Carbon PBC is an equal opportunity employer.
We believe the best solutions to climate change are created by diverse teams. Living Carbon is focused on building a multicultural and inclusive team with strong representation from the many diverse communities disproportionately impacted by climate change. As a public benefit corporation, ensuring solutions to slow climate change are widely distributed to all peoples is critical to the success of our mission.