As developer, you will help conceptualise, design, and implement improvements to our current site while paving the way to a mobile app.
Our hybrid between media platform and webtool is intended to be an alternative to noisy social media and the short news cycles of journalism. Our users come from a wide range of professional and social backgrounds, we improve the quality of online debates, make science accessible, and give discussions on complex and controversial topics more substance – through our content and the technical infrastructure we’re creating alike.
Part-time and/or freelance, remote work possible (te.ma is based in Berlin), start as of now, competitive salary, non-profit/vision-oriented organisation, possibility to help fix what’s broken about social media.
- Maintaining our code base, cloud deployment, and infrastructure.
- Iterating on and fixing bugs in the code base.
- Conceptualising and implementing new features.
- Improving workflows for the editorial team.
- Paving the way to a mobile app.
**What we’d expect:**
- An interest in media innovation and/or the future of public debate. You want to be at the forefront when it comes to reinventing reception of information and discursive patterns.
- Experience in building complex products/applications. Even better in remote teams.
- 2+ years of backend (optional: and frontend) engineering on digital products.
- Must: Python, Django, Postgres (full-text search)
- Nice to have: Sentry, Docker, Google Cloud Platform (Cloud Run, Cloud Build, Cloud SQL)
- Must: HTML, CSS, TypeScript
- Nice to have: Web Components, Github Catalyst, ProseMirror, esbuild
- Transparent work attitude and attention to detail when it comes to hand-overs.
- Excellent communication skills in English OR German OR Russian.
**What we’ll offer:**
- A competitive salary.
- Work on a non-commercial vision-oriented product.
- High flexibility in terms of work location and working hours.
- Intellectually stimulating and highly agile environment and team.
- Ability to shape a young platform (you are entering at the V1 stage).
**Our tech stack:**
- Backend: Python, Django, Postgres (full-text search), Sentry, Docker, Google Cloud Platform (Cloud Run, Cloud Build, Cloud SQL, Secrets Manager)
- Frontend: HTML, CSS, TypeScript, Web Components, Github Catalyst, ProseMirror, esbuild
**How you apply:**
- Send us your resume + your portfolio/website to [email protected]
- Optional: Tell us what excites you about media innovation and/or digital science communication in a free-form text.
- Expect to hear from us within a few days.
- If we want to proceed the application process with you, you can expect an application process in three consecutive stages:
- short interview (15 min),
- an async technical challenge (60 min),
- and a longer technical interview (30 min).
For questions, reach out to Viktar via [email protected]
**We are looking forward to hearing from you!**