We're looking to expand our engineering team. We're on our way to building the one-stop-shop to help job seekers land their dream jobs, a single step at a time. You will be our second engineering hire and third engineer at the company (including one of the co-founders).
We're based in New York City but have team members all over the world.
Compensation: Up to $180,000 salary (USD) and possible equity
Who the heck are we?
We're BeamJobs—helping job seekers navigate the often frustrating, ambiguous process of finding and landing a new job throughout each step of the search.
Here's where we're at:
- We launched our resume builder in June 2020
- Since then, we've helped over 2,000,000 job seekers across the globe improve their resumes
- We launch more products and tools all the time (we most recently launched an AI-powered cover letter generator)
- We're a team of 4 full-time employees (including the 2 co-founders) and 7 contractors
- We work 100% remotely
- We operate 100% asynchronously (outside of a brief daily standup), which means there's no Slack channel to obsess over
- We're just getting started
You'll be working most closely with me (Justin, one of the co-founders) and our other engineer (Wellington). Feel free to check out my LinkedIn (I worked at Google after college then left to start BeamJobs).
We're looking for a seasoned full-stack engineer who's excited to join a small team and take ownership over the codebase. As one of 3 engineers you'll get exposure to every part of our stack, from creating pixel-perfect UIs to tweaking our API for performance.
You'll work on improving our existing resume builder, creating/ owning brand new products (think: cover letter generator, job application tracker, etc), improving the codebase overall, and loads of other stuff.
Some projects you might work on
- Use generative AI to customize a resume for each job a candidate applies to
- Implement an AI-powered resume grader to let people know what's working and what's not on their resumes
- Create a brand new product from end-to-end to recommend jobs to candidates that come to our platform and make it easy for them to apply
- Set up an A/B test in the resume builder to see how adding more resume templates improves paid conversion rate
Our tech stack
- 💻 We use Typescript , Angular, and Tailwind in the front-end
- 🧪 We use Python/ Django in the backend to power the API that the front-end consumes (Python knowledge is not a requirement to apply to this job)
- 📔 We have a Postgres database
- 🥳 Our front-end is hosted on Netlify, and the API/ database are hosted on Heroku
- Intro call (30 minutes) Meet Justin for a brief live coding challenge. Think more "fizzbuzz" and less "reverse a binary tree". We'll then talk more about the role and your background.
- Technical interview (2 hrs): This will consist of two one hour interviews, run back-to-back. One will be with Wellington (the other engineer on the team), and the other will be with me (Justin). Some things we've done in the past (we're always tweaking this part of the process): work together on a small Angular project; talk more about your background; solve a data structures/ algorithms problem;
- Meet the other co-founder (30 minutes) You'll have a 30 minute chat with Stephen, our other co-founder. You'll work through a business problem to get a sense of how you two work and brainstorm together.
- Job offer (45 minutes) You'll meet with Justin one more time to review final compensation numbers, go over the details of the job, and discuss what you're looking for.
Note: We currently cannot offer assistance in obtaining US work authorization.
We're looking for an engineer that's interested in joining an early-stage startup. That involves the ability to adapt quickly, a desire to understand how to improve the health of the business, and an interest in writing code at every level of the stack. We'd like someone that:
- Is eager to work at a small but growing bootstrapped startup (we operate on revenue, not heaps of VC cash)
- Has 3+ years experience working on all aspects of a modern production web app (front-end, API, database)
- Has expertise using Angular (it's okay if you don't know Python/ Django)
- Can create pixel-perfect web UIs and has a knack for design (though you don't have to be a professional-level designer)
- Can communicate effectively in both written and spoken English (you don't have to be perfect, but we're a remote-first company so written documentation is very important to us)
- Can meet for a 30-minute standup at 12:30pm EST about four days a week
- 💰 Competitive salary (up to $180,000 USD)
- 📈 Possibility for equity, based on experience
- ⚖️ Work-life balance (when you're off, you're actually off)
- 🌏 100% remote & flexible schedule
- 💻 Up to $2,000 equipment budget when you start
- 👶 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- 🏝 3 weeks of paid vacation per year (plus US federal holidays and a 2 week company-wide break in December)
- 🛠 Latest productivity software like Notion, Loom, Github, etc.
- 🚀 A great opportunity for you to grow fast and learn a lot