Unblocking stuck clients. Solving weird and interesting technical problems with your teammates. Turning chaos into order. Composing elegantly written and helpful responses to client questions and skillfully documenting them for your colleagues so everyone can benefit for the next one.
These are just a few of the things that make our Software Support Specialists truly remarkable. And we are looking for additional members of this diverse, high-performing team to work closely with clients using a cloud-based data-as-a-service platform, supporting data-sharing programs at every level of government.
Are you nodding and thinking this is exactly what you want to be doing? If so, we should talk!
Why this job is important
Our Support Specialists are product experts and technical advisors to anyone who uses, manages, or supports Tyler data platforms, from members of the public to data workers and leaders at government agencies to internal partners and other Tyler divisions.
On a given day, you might have a Slack exchange with a Client Success Manager asking you to keep an eye out for potential questions during an upcoming customer Datathon, followed by a real-time diagnostic Slack conversation with engineering to troubleshoot the root cause of a unique client issue. After expertly driving for the clarity you need, you synthesize the input into crisp guidance that you know will push this complex ticket forward toward an expedient resolution and a delighted client. Anticipating the fastest path to understanding, you choose to hop on the phone so you can field the client’s follow-up questions in live time.
You have another tricky ticket in mind that isn’t quite ready to bring to engineering yet; first you plan to workshop some initial investigatory ideas for it with your trusted teammates at today’s team standup. Then you have your daily ticket intake, a two-hour shift in which you screen and triage all incoming tickets, solving some inquiries quickly with a canned template while scoping others that might require escalation or a deeper dive. Later on, you’ll be supporting a live course for a major city; you’ll field questions so that the trainer can maintain their rhythm: together you ensure the city’s data coordinators have the skills they need to launch their program successfully.
In your work, you are consultative and strategic -- whether you’re creating an “extract, transform, load” (ETL) solution to automate a client’s data workflow or proactively addressing gaps in our documentation. You take a big-picture approach in seeking operational opportunities to help your team scale, while zooming back in to overcome technical blockers. You’re a linchpin, bridging product gaps so our clients can focus on what matters most to them: running best-in-class data programs for government agencies. With your help, clients build their trust in our platform and derive value day-to-day.
In a typical week, you will:
- Deep dive on client-reported blockers to identify workarounds and test technical solutions that meet client goals
- Troubleshoot technical and data-centric issues, including ETL pipelines and data schemas to help clients understand and solve their business problems
- Work with clients to shape and format data for data analysis and visualizations
- Participate in client and internal meetings where you leverage your product expertise to inform high-level and finely tuned use cases
- Help clients develop creative solutions by leveraging platform APIs with various programming languages
- Curate and maintain a broad and best-in-class knowledge base; partner with product owners to develop documentation for product releases
- Leverage content in knowledge base to “teach clients how to fish”, and identify opportunities for reusable content
- Provide Tier II support for Data & Insights solutions sold and managed by other divisions. Engage with personnel of other Tyler divisions to problem-solve for issues and knowledge gaps in the rollout and administration of those solutions.
You have technical acumen and a hunger to keep learning:
- Able to understand a technical concept or problem (not just translate it)
- Proficient with contemporary online applications and able to learn new technologies at lighting speed.
- Able to quickly command a broad, deep range of nuanced cloud-based software behaviors and functionality
- Working knowledge of web development principles and programming language syntax sufficient to troubleshoot broken queries (SQL or Python a plus)
- Basic knowledge and understanding of data concepts and database structures including fields, tables, views, how to manipulate data, etc.
You’re a skilled communicator and investigator:
- Skilled at breaking down technical concepts for a variety of audiences, both verbally and in writing
- Skilled at communicating with stakeholders and management to translate client expectations and advocate for change based on user needs
- Able to direct and control situations with clients toward win-win solutions
- Strong ownership mindset: you own solutions, taking charge and driving confidently forward
- Analytical and creative ingenuity to troubleshoot and resolve problems
- Experience triaging, gathering requirements, and finding clever ways of solving problems
You have a great attitude, mindset, and work ethic:
- You’re a self-starter, embrace ambiguity, and hold yourself accountable.
- You are passionate about team collaboration, high performance, and, most of all, client satisfaction
- You relish learning something new: software, tools, skills to further your own development as well your team’s overall effectiveness. You’re motivated to become a Tyler Data & Insights solutions and internal data sharing expert. You take it upon yourself to drive clarity and seek out answers from technical experts cross-functionally.
And you can meet these logistical requirements:
- On a logistical level, you have the flexibility to work different shifts to support clients across time zones, including early or late shifts occurring between 6am and 6pm Pacific. We do our best to provide the flexibility to accommodate our team members' preferred hours
You can pass a state and federal background check; for this position, Public Trust: Moderate background investigation is required. This position requires access to high-compliance systems