Whatnot is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re building the future of ecommerce, bringing together community, shopping and entertainment. We are committed to our values, whether working remotely or from one of our offices. We are building a team that has experience from top tech, retail and payments platforms in the world.
We’re innovating in the fast-paced world of live auctions in categories including sports, fashion, video games, and streetwear. The platform couples rigorous seller vetting with a focus on community to create a welcoming space for buyers and sellers to share their passions with others.
And, we’re growing. Whatnot has been the fastest growing marketplace in the US over the past two years and we’re hiring forward-thinking problem solvers across all functional areas.
📈 Opportunity Size
Retail disruption is one of the largest opportunities in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is taking off around the world – a $300B GMV market in China that’s grown 100% YoY. Whatnot is bringing it to the world through a community-first approach, starting in the U.S. where retail is a $5T market opportunity!
🏎 About the Go-to-Market Team
The Go-to-Market team at Whatnot is responsible for the expansion of our category suite and the continued growth of sellers and buyers on the platform. As the Head of Marketing for our sports vertical, you will be responsible for owning the category’s marketing strategy and buyer acquisition to build healthy demand, drive excitement, and exponentially grow the business.
- You own marketing and buyer acquisition for Whatnot’s sports vertical, devising campaigns and events that generate buzz, expand our awareness in the space, and grow demand
- Ideate, advocate and execute campaigns or ideas that move the needle for your category
- Manage and scale a team of category marketers working across events, social media, and supply focused initiatives
- Build a machine to identify and pursue influencer opportunities within the category
- Develop and execute on the social media strategy for your category across multiple channels and platforms
- Build scalable resources and toolkits to help sellers better market their channels and grow their audiences on the platform
- Measure and iterate on the effectiveness of category marketing initiatives
- Own the brand tracking for your category to identify the impact of your efforts as well as identify opportunities for growth.
- Build high-functioning cross functional relationships across creative, finance, product, engineering and more to bring your marketing agenda to life.
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
- You have 8+ years of consumer marketing experience in a fast paced, high-growth startup environment. Marketplaces or creator-focused platforms are a plus
- You’ve shaped a brand from an early stage through a sustained growth period and can proudly speak to the impact your efforts have had on that trajectory, how you’ve navigated challenges, and how you’ve uncovered opportunities.
- You have owned a P&L or been on a business unit team driving a P&L
- You have worked in a variety of capacities on multi-million dollar campaigns
- You are data driven and have experience tracking KPIs and monitoring success for marketing programs
- You have a passion for crafting activations and have a pulse on sports, culture, and the zeitgeist of today
- You are a problem solver with strong project management skills and the ability to fully own strategy and content across multiple marketing channels
- You're a creative thinker with an aptitude for campaign ideation and content creation
- You are able to prioritize and execute against competing priorities and initiatives
- You are scrappy and flexible enough to work in a fast-paced startup environment with limited guidance, and are comfortable pivoting quickly as needed
🙏 Nice to Have
- Passion for creator communities and/or sports, sports cards, or sports collectibles
- Experience with graphic design and video editing tools (e.g. Creative Suite, Figma)
- Experience buying and selling in online marketplaces
- Competitive base salary and stock options
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and Company-wide Holidays (including a spring and winter break)
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone and internet
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for wellness
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave and gradual return to work
- $5,000 annual allowance towards Childcare
- $20,000 lifetime benefit for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
- Professional Development
- $2,000 annual benefit to invest in your professional development
- 401k offering for Traditional and Roth accounts provided by Betterment
- Employer matching contributions of 100% of up to 4% of contributions on base salary
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.