We are looking for a passionate Senior Backend Engineer to help us build and maintain Toggl Plan. If you are a great engineer, work well in cross-functional teams, and are eager to learn and work with Elixir, we would like to hear from you!
The gross annual salary for the role is 80,000 EUR plus some great benefits.
You can work from anywhere in the world as long as your main location is between UTC-4 and UTC+8:00.
About the team
We are a global team of 100+ awesome people working from over 40 countries around the globe. We hire globally, you work locally—in the heart of London, a beach outside of São Paulo, or a quiet village near Florence, the choice is yours. Every few months we travel to meet up somewhere in the world and spend some quality time together. We place a huge amount of trust in our people, and we measure the outcomes rather than the work itself. Our values
fuel our results.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will collaborate as an integral part of our team to bring new features to life by crafting clean, well-structured, and dependable code. Additionally, you will actively participate in code reviews, ensuring code quality.
Our team and company meetings are scheduled between 11:00 and 16:00 UTC. Your availability and commitment to participate in these sessions are essential for effective collaboration and team alignment.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Build and maintain our backend applications and infrastructure of Toggl Plan (Elixir / PostgreSQL / AWS, migrating to GCP)
- Optimize the performance and stability of our product
- Experiment with the new technologies to improve our product and experience as a team
- Collaborate with product managers, designers and FE developers
We would love to hear from you if you have strong experience in backend development and can lead major development projects.
In particular, we are looking for:
- Proficiency in all stages of web application development (design, implementation, testing)
- Significant experience with back-end development
- Experience with PostgreSQL, Git and Unix
- Experience with GCP/AWS, Docker, Ansible and Terraform is a plus
- Experience with a backend language and enthusiasm about exploring and embracing Elixir. While prior knowledge of Elixir is a big plus, it is not a strict requirement
- A comfort level with working within a fully remote team, displaying excellent written communication skills, and a genuine enthusiasm for active collaboration with other remote team members
- A commitment to contributing to a company culture that values respect, openness, transparency, multiculturalism, and continuous evolution
- Familiarity with asynchronous work processes, as we typically hold only three meetings per week, expecting the remainder of tasks to be executed independently, marked by a strong sense of ownership
- Willingness to travel for participation in our company meetups
- Freedom to choose when and how much you work - we only measure results
- 24 days of paid time off a year, plus your local holidays
- In-person meetups for team-building (expenses covered)
- 4-6 weeks paid sabbatical (depending on the tenure)
- Laptop budget up to €2,500 and it renews every 3 years
- €2,000 budget to set up your home office, and additional €300 every year after 3 years of tenure
- €250 per month for co-working space membership and/or internet service at home
- €4,000 per year contribution to use for training, workshops, and conferences
- €2,000 per year contribution for any equipment or services to improve and/or maintain your physical and mental health
- Support for buying tools you need for doing your best work (even eyeglasses if you need a new pair)