We’re proud of the fantastic products we’ve built in partnership with our clients and we’re actively invested in the processes behind these products. Within the next 6 months, we expect our team to grow from 31 to 34 people in order to meet the needs for new and existing projects. Our growth is careful and considered. We are committed to fostering a team-focused approach in our work of building great user-focused systems, while also placing a serious emphasis on quality of life, openness, empathy, and a supportive work environment.
We’re looking for a senior-level web and app designer to join our design team who will help us provide clients with accessible, beautiful, simple, and effective visual interfaces for web and mobile apps. Our existing design team has strong interface design and front-end web development skills. We’d like to complement this experience with a designer with a strong sense of visual style and a deep understanding of native mobile interface design.
As an agency, we work with clients and projects at a variety of sizes. Among the projects you’d be working with are mission-driven medical education providers working at a scale that warrants a systematic approach to design across a variety of web and app systems.
We favour applicants with a strong sense of ownership over their own work. Excitement and ability to learn and contribute is more important to us than other metrics like years of experience.
The position is available immediately and we will work with you to get you started as soon as possible.
- Work with and build design systems that help other designers and developers deliver quality products efficiently.
- Adapt existing visual identity and design systems to new screens and features.
- Create visual designs for web and mobile apps that are accessible, beautiful, usable, and scalable across a variety of mobile and desktop clients.
- Work with clients to understand and help define requirements.
- Communicate designs clearly and effectively to clients, incorporating their needs and feedback.
- Define and communicate interface and experience designs including site and app structure, navigation, and interaction.
- Work with front-end and back-end developers to develop designs that are feasible and suitable for clients with different audience and budget requirements.
- Define animation and transition effects for interface interactions.
- Create interactive prototypes to demonstrate web and mobile app features, interactions, and structure.
- Be eligible & available to work from Canada.
- Have experience in creating beautiful layout and interface designs for web and mobile apps.
- Have experience contributing to design systems.
- Have experience shaping and leading the design aspects of projects.
- Have a solid understanding of native mobile app technologies and interface conventions (iOS & Android).
- Understand and value accessibility in the systems you help to build and improve.
- Have a mastery of common design tools (we primarily use Figma), and be able to quickly learn and understand new tools and systems.
- Be able to communicate clearly with clients and co-workers across multiple time zones. Several of our key clients are in California and we have team members in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, and PEI.
While not required, ideally you’ll also also bring some of the following skills:
- Ability to create original branding and visual identity systems.
Growth & ownership
Our team is co-operative and will help you learn and expand your skills via mentoring, team-wide support, and learning opportunities. All members of the team are encouraged and given space to grow as individual contributors, and have ongoing opportunities in project and team leadership.
We’re excited to hear your fresh ideas and approach. We have decades of collective experience, and we all continue to become better at what we do by both teaching and learning from each other. Add your voice to our mix.
Opportunity for employee ownership is a fundamental part of silverorange (non-founders currently own more than a third of the company) and we’re currently working on new ways to transfer even more ownership to employees.
Inclusion & diversity
People with different backgrounds and experiences make us stronger, and we’re always looking for ways to improve. Our team is getting more diverse across many dimensions of diversity, but we’re still missing perspectives that could make our work better. We highly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented groups in our industry to apply—we’d love to hear from you.
Remote working is just as good as local
Our team has been remote-friendly for over 20 years, and remote-first for the last 8. We continue to improve our approach to having a dispersed team. This is a full-time remote position regardless of location, though you are welcome to work from our lovely office in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada.
Over half of our team is full-time remote and 95% of our clients are remote. You’ll need to be comfortable working with a remote team regardless of your location.
Typically all employees spend at least one week each year working from our Charlottetown office so plan on visiting PEI semi-regularly once you feel safe traveling.
Though you may be working remotely, you’ll be an active member of a great team that is small but growing, both here at silverorange and with our clients. Regular voice or video communication will help keep you in touch with the smart people with whom you’ll be working.
Benefits & compensation
- Flexible work days, approached collaboratively with you to allow for the realities of appointments, family minding, and your everyday life.
- 3 weeks of paid vacation, on top of 10 paid days of civic holidays, and 3 weeks of paid company-wide shut down. Separate sick/personal days are also available.
- Generous health and dental coverage, with 100% of premium covered by silverorange.
- New computer hardware every 3 years, and other tools as needed.
- Yearly company-wide bonuses based on overall company success, plus ownership opportunities and dividends for long-term employees.
- Salaries based on experience starting at CAD $85,000-97,000 per year, with both annual company wide salary band adjustments as well as opportunities and expectation of ongoing career and compensation growth.
- Additional remote worker salary add-on of CAD $3,000 per year and a wellness salary add-on of $500 per year.
Click Apply Now and include a copy of your resume, links to relevant examples of recent work including detail on your role in the examples, and an explanation of why you’d be great for the job. Tell us about an interesting project you’ve worked on or helped shape.
We want people to feel they can be their genuine selves at work, so we’d love to hear about who you are. If there is anything else you would like to share with us — i.e. a Medium or social-media account, online writing or select blog posts, etc. — please feel free to include those as well.
If you require accommodations at any phase of the application or interview process, please let us know by email. We would be happy to support you and discuss accommodations as required.
We will be accepting applications for this position until Friday, February 17th and will begin following up with candidates after this date.