Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn gives you the opportunity to apply your skills, expertise, and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you can bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy problems, you could be an excellent fit for our team.
In 2019, our CEO took the stage at TED
and shared our audacious goal of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet.
About the Role:
A key aspect of our work is partnering with the tech industry. Our product Safer
is designed to proactively identify, remove, and report child sexual abuse material from our partners' platforms. As you join our small but mighty team at an early stage of this product, you will work together with our team to ensure a top-tier experience for our growing customer base, which includes companies like Flickr, VSCO, Slack, Imgur, and more.
What You’ll Do:
- Work closely with customers to guide them through the onboarding process for Safer, helping them understand the setup process and troubleshooting common technical issues
- Operate as an expert on customer use cases, advocating for their needs in the product development cycle and balancing their expectations for release timelines.
- Manage the day-to-day experience of technical and non-technical product users, elevating issues or feedback to engineers and the product team as needed.
- Work cross-functionally with the product manager, engineers, and the sales team to provide a cohesive, positive experience for customers.
- Opportunity to grow into other engineering roles or into management of a team of support engineers
Skills We’re Seeking:
- You have a commitment to putting the children we serve at the center of everything you do.
- You communicate clearly, efficiently, and thoughtfully. We’re a highly-distributed team and work with a distributed customer base, so written communication is crucial, from Slack messages to technical documentation to Zoom calls.
- You have experience communicating with external users, with a love for providing an exceptional experience for the customer.
- You can work with shifting requirements in a fast-paced and fluid environment, and collaborate with both internal and external stakeholders.
- You have empathy and can be a strong advocate for our users while balancing the vision and constraints of technical realities.
- You have some technical/engineering experience.
- Preferred: You’ve worked with a user base of engineers, or on a product that involved setup in a customer’s infrastructure.
Technologies We Use:
You should have familiarity with some of these, but you don’t need experience with all of them. We’re excited about teaching folks that have the desire and ability to learn the rest.
- Docker / Kubernetes / Terraform
- AWS / Google Cloud
- Amazon SQS / Google PubSub / RabbitMQ / Kafka
- Node / Python 3 / TypeScript
- PostgreSQL / Elasticsearch
At Thorn, we understand the value of developing a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We prioritize diversity within our team and encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Your skills are needed here.