SNOMED International is hiring a UK or EU-based senior back-end Java Engineer, joining the all-remote team developing open source products that provide the universal language of healthcare globally.
Our software products ultimately benefit quality of life for the millions of people whose healthcare service provision relies upon the accurate, standardised, medical vocabulary of SNOMED CT and its ecosystem of tools; https://github.com/IHTSDO
. SNOMED CT is underpinning COVID-19 research within the UK's NHS for example, and for institutes and providers around the world.
We offer a worthwhile and rewarding challenge, advancing this mature technology standard and its associated web tooling for the global application of health data. We work at the forefront of knowledge representation, variously utilising description logic, linked data, semantic web and JSON based approaches - all of which you may learn with us.
You'll be joining us during a moment of finding improvements, making enhancements and refactoring, with ample scope to explore better ways of delivering what our users need. We're also midway through our five year strategy of delivering SNOMED CT as a service, and your work will be instrumental in delivering and building upon this. This may entail applying your skills across our distributed applications, ontology management tools, data visualisations and web browser solutions, as well as how we do things and the technologies we use.
We'll be pleased to explore where this may lead.
Upcoming projects for the team
- Advancing the software that implements the far reaches of semantic technology and computer science to produce the terminology which is the most comprehensive machinable representation of healthcare knowledge
- Adapting our global product delivery method to a SaaS-like architecture
- Analytics, applying Elasticsearch to demonstrate healthcare outcomes
- Back-end solutions for new web and data tools to aid implementation with adjacent healthcare ecosystems, and for new software tools for community collaboration and open access to authoring
- Moving to continual releases across our integrated family of products
We're looking for
- Someone ready to contribute broadly and make positive impact on a mature code base
- Motivated by the challenges of representing complex data for better health outcomes
- A depth of technical ability utilising Java, accrued in a modern web application context
- A good understanding of data models and structures, e.g. graph databases or ontologies
- A depth of experience with; REST APIs, data-informed back-ends, service oriented architectures, and designing for deployment into AWS or similar
- Adaptability, openness to change and pragmatism
- Appreciation for open source, clean code, testing, good documentation and knowledge sharing
- Formal study in computing, to degree or masters level - or equivalent accrued knowledge
Our current ecosystem - we'll welcome your input
Java 11+, Spring Boot | Agile, TDD | Ansible | Jenkins | Terraform | AWS | Git | MySQL | Atlassian suite | AWS technologies | Elasticsearch | ontologies and description logic