Container Solutions helps companies migrate to Cloud Native. Working together with our clients’ teams, we tailor and implement solutions that last, by focussing both on technological as well as organisational transformation. When companies like Google, Shell, and Adidas need help with Cloud Native, they turn to Container Solutions.
Our people are innovative and curious. They join us to learn, collaborate, and share their knowledge. With close to a hundred colleagues, and offices in Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Prague, Warsaw, and Montreal, we are building an exciting future. Will you be a part of it?
EngineerBetter is a small and growing consultancy that empowers organisations to build the right software more quickly. We’re interested in business outcomes over technology, and in human-centered processes. While we perform a variety of work, our ideal engagements are those where we upskill engineers with contemporary agile practices, and instil a product mindset into those deciding what it is that should be built. Small consultancies have a variety of work, providing opportunities to do different things. We’re primarily based in London with some fully-remote workers, and are fully owned by Container Solutions, with whom we collaborate on engagements.
Why join EngineerBetter
- You get to work with lots of different technologies, and get to experience many ways of working as you engage with various customers.
- Small company atmosphere, where decision-makers are easily reached, and bureaucracy is kept to a minimum - our customers who need transformation may differ!
- Working directly with peers in a supportive learning environment where we value outcomes and the journey as well as outputs.
- An environment where we work to apply what we teach and promote externally to the way that we set ourselves up internally.
- A leadership team that values work-life balance and respects that this is a job, you have a life outside the workplace, and that overtime should be actively discouraged.
- A flat but not unstructured organisation that appreciates everyone having a voice, but is also capable of making decisions and ensuring guidance is provided so that everyone can excel, or feel comfortable to make changes without fear.
- Our website describes who we are and how we work
Various company benefits include:
- Vision, health, dental, and cash plan through Bupa
- Bank holidays and 25 annual vacation days
- Sick leave policy
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Opportunity to work together in-person in the London office, or work remotely (some team members are fully-remote)
- You will have the opportunity to contribute to open source projects in use by massive banks and governments (such as Cloud Foundry), and join Technical Oversight Committees and Working Groups of these projects.
Who is this not for?
- People who find variability unnerving. Whilst it’s natural to be unsettled by change, being a consultant requires being outside of your comfort zone (albeit with the support of peers and mentors).
- People that only want to work with hipster startups. Our customers are big enterprises who need help to become more agile. We need to meet them where they are and help them improve, so whilst EngineerBetter is a leading-edge progressive organisation, the customers we work with will use legacy practices and technologies.
- People who want to work on the same thing for years. We do not build software products that have a long lifecycle - that’s what our customers do. If you want to build an app from design to production and live with it for several years, you’re unlikely to find our work motivating.
- Open to remote pair-programming, mobbing
- Comfortable working knowledge of the Linux command line and Bash scriptingGood working knowledge of Git and good Git hygiene - ability to work with branches, small clean commits, multiple origins
- Ability in one programming language (we mostly use Golang, Ruby, Python or Java), with a desire to learn others
- Experience writing tests in Ginkgo, Rspec, LambdaBehave or any other BDD framework
- Appreciation of 12 Factor/Cloud Native applications
- Experience of using a Continuous Integration server (Concourse, Jenkins, CircleCI, GitHub Actions, Travis et al)
- Exposure to/understanding of IaaS, virtualisation and containerisation technologies such as AWS, vSphere, Docker.
- You are based in The UK/Germany/The Netherlands and have a valid working permit for your location. We will not move forward with the applications coming from other regions
Day to day activities
- Our largest current engagement is to help a large enterprise operate, maintain and extend very large-scale developer platforms that run hundreds of thousands of applications. This is part of a larger programme of transformation, helping the teams we assist improve their agile development practices. This is hands-on-keyboards work, challenging customers to improve whilst also helping them deliver.
- There are many opportunities within this stream of work, as we are assisting numerous teams. Activities across the teams include: rewriting Ruby into Golang for performance reasons, developing application autoscalers in Golang, debugging HAproxy networking issues, operating and extending the Cloud Foundry and BOSH stack, and investigating logging, metrics and persistence issues.
- Beyond this immediate need, our work is varied due to the nature of consultancy. Sometimes we write code with and for FAANG companies; we create and deliver instructor-led training; we pair-program with customers whilst teaching them how to run product teams; we assess customers’ development practices and processes. When we program, we do often use Golang, and most of our work involves infrastructure and the path to production.
Key Competencies and Skills
- Teamwork & collaboration:
- Work closely with EngineerBetter engineers and the engineers from the client-side for transformation and delivery
Technical work & Problem Solving
- Contribute to the technical transformation of a big enterprise company
- Use your range of technical skills in the infrastructure and development area
- Work on acquiring new technical skills on-the-job
Communication & Commitment
- Ability to explain their decision-making
- Commit to the overall success of a project, and practice continuous improvement in good faith
The Selection Process
- 1. Introduction call: this is an online video call in which you get to meet the Managing Director of EngineerBetter, find out more about the role and what it means to work in consultancy.
- 2. Pair-programming: this is a 90-minute online pair-programming session (work-sample test) where we evaluate your problem-solving, working habits, and interpersonal skills.
- 3. Final interview: a verbal interview with members of EngineerBetter to discover more about your experiences and motivations.
If all goes well, we will extend you an offer to join our team!
Container Solutions and EngineerBetter are proud to be committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Container Solutions and EngineerBetter are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or another legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please let us know.