UP42 is changing the way geospatial data is accessed and analysed. The developer platform and marketplace bring together multiple sources of data such as satellite imagery, weather data, and more—with algorithms to identify objects, detect change, and find patterns. Industry leaders use UP42 to inform business decisions and build scalable customer solutions.
We are looking for a Staff Backend Engineer (m/f/x) to join our motivated team in Berlin.
Team composition and set up (our teams are arranged across core pillars/verticals):
- Core Platform vertical - designed to focus on the fundamental platform that everything else is built upon. It includes components such as accounts & organisations, authentication, payments, as well as the core experience which is owning all of the first customer touch-points.
- Data Platform vertical - focused on our ability to manage and provide data to our customers. It includes discovery, search-ability, price estimation, ordering, tasking, and internal operations.
- Analytics Platform vertical - this vertical is focused on two distinct parts. The core analytics platform that enables our customers to generate insights from data at a large scale, given custom and marketplace algorithms. And the ability to integrate UP42’s technology into the geospatial ecosystem.
About the role:
- Take responsibility for the end-to-end backend architecture across one of our product verticals, as well as translating product vision and business needs to technical plans for a product vertical
- Work with product and engineering management to build the product vertical roadmap
- Contribute to engineering management with cohesive plans to deliver on the product roadmap while prioritizing technical backlog
- Mentor for the teams in the product vertical, collaborates with engineering management on developing the careers of other colleagues
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Java/Kotlin code
- Help maintain code quality, organisation, and automation
- Contribute to continuous delivery and test-driven development, as well as to the highly efficient agile development process
- Contribute to engineering best practices, processes and share your knowledge mentoring more junior engineers or pairing with your colleagues
- Contribute to the daily tech-related operations; evolve the platform architecture (based on Spring Boot, Kubernetes, Terraform, Google Cloud Platform)
- Support application deployments and infrastructure
- Several years of experience in software design and development, preferably in a web-service environment
- Experience working in a similar position of Staff/Principal Backend Engineer
- Strong experience in every stage of the lifecycle, from product ideation to production maintenance, as well as solid understanding of design and implementation of mission-critical distributed systems
- Experience contributing with a strong leadership for building the right processes, defining frameworks and best practices for the teams, including mentoring engineers on how to build quality software at scale
- Delivery of platform architecture (microservices / software, architecture and API design)
- Proven track record delivering high availability architectures including load balancing, fault-tolerance, and cloud computing (infrastructure as code, configuration management systems)
- Experience designing, deploying and maintaining cloud-based environments (Google Cloud Platform)
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Knowledge of Spring ecosystem (strongly preferred)
- Experience with Kubernetes is a plus
- Fluency in English is a must
- The chance to shape the state of the art geospatial processing platform and create a completely new planetary perspective
- Hybrid and flexible working model - you can choose to work from the comfort of your home or join your colleagues in our modern office in the heart of Kreuzberg
- Inspiring international team, fun and productive environment
- Competitive salary package and other great benefits
- Regular team events, team updates and get-to-gathers
- Development budget: we help you grow and you grow UP42!
- Challenges, space for creativity and taking ownership
Does this sound like a good next step into your geospatial career? If so, we look forward to receiving your application in English.
Our culture is one of belonging, where everyone feels welcome and where differences are celebrated. We seek to recruit the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background and/or belief—and strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. We also value more than the skills and experiences outlined in this job description. Even if you think you only fill 60% of the requirements for this role - we would still like to consider your application.