Alpaca is a fast-growing fintech API startup backed by a group of prominent investors including Spark, Portage, Social Leverage, Tribe, Horizons, Eldridge, Positive Sum, Elefund, and Y Combinator, and highly experienced industry angel investors. Alpaca has raised a total of $72 million to date.
Alpaca builds a developer API that allows apps and developers globally to launch commission-free stock trading apps. Our platform also offers a developer-friendly community and platform for traders to programmatically trade stocks with ease. Of course, we are very enthusiastic about open source contribution and community building!
About the Role
Reporting into the VP of Engineering, you will oversee the configuration, provisioning, and management of large cloud-hosted systems and microservices; including scaling, monitoring, performance tuning, troubleshooting, and recovery.
What You'll Do
- Design, maintain and expand our infrastructure defined in code (IaC)
- Oversee systems and resources for alerting, logging, backups, disaster recovery, and monitoring
- Help Alpaca scale by defining the direction of our infrastructure architecture
- Work alongside our engineering in building fault tolerant & resilient microservices that are in-line with our infrastructure's best practices
- Improve the performance and durability of our CI/CD pipelines
- Build out automated tooling to automate the provisioning of on demand Kubernetes namespaces
- You may be asked to be on-call to assist with engineering projects that are timely in nature
- You have 5+ years of experience in DevOps or similar role
- You have significant experience with Kubernetes at scale
- You have a deep understanding of modern containerization systems (we use Docker)
- You are familiar with modern distributed logging, monitoring, and metrics systems
- You have deep experience building and scaling continuous integration and continuous delivery pipelines
- You have deep familiarity with Git for distributed source code version control
- You have excellent communication skills and value good documentation and writing
- Strong understanding and comfort with POSIX Operating Systems (Linux/BSD, etc)
- You have experience with Elasticsearch and Kibana
- You have experience with Prometheus (including Prometheus Alerts) and Grafana
- You are familiar with distributed tracing
- Experience with multi-region high availability
- Experience with Golang
- Strong Postgres scaling and performance tuning experience (including overseeing the management of both self managed instances and cloud managed instances)
- You are familiar with security engineering best practices or have experience with SOC 2
- FinTech experience
Our Tech & Infrastructure Stack:
- Microservices running on Google Cloud Platform via Kubernetes
- Colocated systems in close proximity to financial hubs with cross connects to data partners and market execution venues
Must be eligible to work without sponsorship for this role.