We're dedicated to helping people connect and stay close with the people, groups, and communities they care about. Here at Geneva
, we're building a better group chat app to support these relationships: more organized than GroupMe or iMessage, more private than Facebook Groups, and more fun than Slack.
We're aiming to be the best place on the internet for private groups to live, whether you're a 10-person running crew, a 50-person sorority, or a 1,000-person podcast listeners club — and all we're missing is you.
You're somebody who loves to build from scratch. As our first ever Head of Marketing, you'll get to build and lead all aspects of our marketing strategy from the ground up, and you can't wait to be the first to experiment with building a thriving fanbase for a product you love.
You embody Geneva's ethos fully and are obsessed with serving our market. You're excited about bringing groups together and helping people build more fulfilling relationships on Geneva. You know the digital landscape for Gen Z consumers well and can credibly expand on our brand voice and the message we're sharing with our audience.
You have a results-oriented mindset. You love digging into data, and you're interested in marketing that produces measurable results. You enjoy circling back through your team's efforts to gauge effectiveness, so you can help people iterate and optimize for maximum impact.
You view marketing as a team sport. We take an integrated view of marketing at Geneva, and know that successful, active users don't happen in a vacuum. Your goal isn't just to get Geneva into people's hands, but to find the right fit audience that will set other teams up for success throughout the user journey.
You're a strong leader who wants to understand the capabilities and talents of every person on the team and bring them together to create a cohesive, effective strategy to grow Geneva's audience and user base.
About The Job
Your core fundamental responsibilities can be summed up as:
- Acquisition - We need your big-picture strategic skills to bring qualified new users to Geneva. Your primary focus will be to dramatically expand our top-of-funnel user acquisition and drive app downloads. Our hard-working Community and Product teams will have your back from there — ensuring that new users have the best activation paths and personalized support to keep them happy, engaged, and building relationships in Geneva long-term.
- Alignment - You will work alongside other business leaders to ensure that every team's priorities, goals, and objectives will build on each others' success to drive us all toward our wildest dreams. There will be times when the smartest thing we can do as a company is rally together to solve a problem, and your job will be to figure out how the marketing team can best contribute.
- Advocacy - You'll get to build a marketing team that's uniquely suited for our company's needs, and stay in constant communication to ensure they're happy, thriving, and clear on what it means to be absolutely crushing it at Geneva. You've got their back with constructive, actionable feedback to help them each stay accountable and in full ownership of their own business outcomes and goals. You're their absolute secret weapon when it comes to accelerating their career growth and achieving their full potential at Geneva - and you'll take this as seriously as delivering any other business result.
What You'll Be Doing
Right now, our team is focused on growing our weekly active user base. To support that, you'll be overseeing our entire acquisition funnel, which we define as awareness through sign-up. You'll get to:
- Develop and execute our growth strategy to build momentum, generate awareness, and create brand affinity within our Gen Z audience
- Drive new user acquisition results across our core marketing channels, including:
- Organic social and content
- Influencer and brand partnerships
- Paid social and search
- ASO, SEO, and conversion rate optimization for our marketing site and other specialized acquisition-focused landing pages
- Connect all the moving pieces across all acquisition channels and activities to create a larger cohesive marketing story we're sharing with the world
- Deepen our understanding of our user and group personas to develop a tailored strategy to reach the people we best serve
- Establish and communicate clear goals, track and report on performance metrics, and refine our approach to improve effectiveness throughout the acquisition journey
- Over time, build and grow our marketing team around our highest-leverage opportunities and maintain a high-functioning team environment
- Work with other teams to boost user retention, support faster activation, increase referrals, and build long-term user happiness
Your North Star outcome is increasing the number of new people who sign up for Geneva every week. You'll be tracking and reporting leading indicators across a wide spectrum of marketing and acquisition channels to create this outcome, while also optimizing for a smooth baton-pass to our Community and Product teams so we can collectively keep every single user delighted with Geneva.
This Role's Right For You If
- You're a skilled marketer with several years of professional experience marketing consumer software or products, and are familiar with commonly-used user and marketing metrics.
- You're a subject-matter expert with at least one of our core acquisition channels, and ready to execute in this area right away.
- You're experienced across multiple marketing channels and activities we use, and are well equipped to incorporate them into your growth strategy.
- You have successfully managed projects with lots of moving parts and players without dropping plates and crossing wires.
- You're fluent in Gen Z culture, and have succeeded in developing creative campaigns that appeal to a young, diverse audience.
And we'd especially love to hear if your experience includes:
- Rapidly growing the user or customer base of a consumer tech product or a consumer brand
- Creating a full-scale marketing strategy from scratch, integrating it into your organization, and taking it to success
We're an equal-opportunity employer committed to building a diverse team and an environment of inclusion, belonging, and advocacy. Research indicates that applicants who are people of color, female or non-binary are less likely to apply for roles they do not feel 100% qualified for. We encourage everyone who's interested to apply, even if you're not sure you match the full description listed above.
Why You'll Love This Job
- Groups and communities love using Geneva. You'll be marketing a beautiful, fully-featured product that thousands of people love. No awkward bait and switch — this is a delightful product that delivers genuine value to its users.
- No red tape. We're a well-resourced small team who values going after big wins. Say goodbye to your ideas losing momentum and going stale while you wait for approval. No more hours-long presentation decks to run ideas by an executive team. Just pure, honest-to-goodness getting things done.
- Fully remote, for real. We won't be sending you or anybody else back to the office (unless you want to be there). We're remote-first and have been so since the before-times.
- We default to trust, transparency, and autonomy. We trust you with toughest marketing challenges in the company, and respect the expertise you'll add to the team. We don't second guess others on the team, because all our wins, setbacks, and results are achieved in the open.
Other benefits include
- Competitive, location-agnostic compensation. We pay based on the same data-backed salary framework, no matter where you live. For this role, we've budgeted $160,000-$180,000 USD + early-stage equity, based on experience and level.
- Excellent, fully paid options for health, dental, and vision
- Open vacation policy with 15-day minimum, unlimited sick days (with support for mental health days), and company-wide holidays
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Everything you need to do your job well, including equipment and home office budget, paid coworking expenses, learning and development budget, and wellness stipends
- Twice annual company retreats (when we're able to safely travel and meet), all expenses paid
You can learn more about working at Geneva here.