Lead the team that will push the scientific publishing industry forward in collaboration with our Publishing Partners. The world of science is becoming increasingly more digital and open access science is becoming the norm. Consequently, the publishing industry needs to shift from institutions as their primary customer to the researchers themselves. As more and more Publishers embrace this paradigm shift, they look to engage with the definitive platform for researchers: ResearchGate.
As the Engineering Manager of the Publisher Solutions Team you will enable your team of 4-6 Engineers by focusing primarily on people, process and culture. Though you’re an engineer at heart who isn’t afraid of being hands on, you recognize that leadership is the act of achieving goals through others rather than directly. Most importantly, you and the team will make an impact for over 20 million members around the world, who themselves have an impact on 8 billion peoples’ lives via their research.
Where your expertise is needed
What we’re looking for
- Motivate and grow a multidisciplinary team of 4-6 engineers via 1:1s, creating growth opportunities & mentoring plans, and by providing timely and actionable feedback
- Create a high performing yet sustainable work environment through the definition and tracking of relevant KPIs and optimizing your team’s internal and collaborative processes.
- Take responsibility for hiring and onboarding new colleagues with the support of the recruiting team
- Closely coordinate with external customer stakeholders to gather requirements and to foresee future needs regarding the performance and capabilities of your team’s products
- Working with product management to define, estimate and deliver feature roadmaps while maintaining healthy levels of technical debt
What you can expect from us
- At least 3 years experience as Engineering Manager (people, delivery, and hiring) for agile development teams
- Understanding of React (or similar frameworks)
- Experience with defining flexible and scalable B2B solutions that meet customer’s technical and delivery requirements, including creating APIs and relevant monitoring
- Understanding of structured data formats and their tools such as XML, XPath, JSON, and Avro
- Track record of growing, coaching, motivating and mentoring team members including senior engineers
- Practical experience with large scale data transfer and storage solutions for both structured data as well as files
- Good understanding of the trade offs between queues, workers, APIs, batch systems, and stream processors
- Familiarity with JATS or with entity matching / near duplicate detection is a plus
- Exceptional English communication and interpersonal skills
Work with impact At ResearchGate your input can help over 20 million scientists and researchers to solve global challenges. Whether studying the first moments of our universe or tracking global warming, our users are making a real difference.
Building at scale This means creating flexible solutions that connect thousands of publishers with millions of scientists.
Grow at work At ResearchGate we put people first. You’ll join an environment where your personal development is very important to us. In regular one on ones & quarterly feedback talks, you and your manager will identify possible paths for you to grow, plan the actionable steps forward and agree on the right amount of guidance needed to reach your goals.
Have ownership As the manager of the Publishers team, you’ll be given the opportunity to define and own medium to long-term initiatives that will shape the future of the company. Your thinking, your feedback and your execution will be key to our success.
ResearchGate was founded in 2008 by three friends who believed it was possible to connect all of the world’s scientists.
By 2015, four complete rounds of financing had fueled ResearchGate’s growth and investors included Benchmark Capital, Founders Fund, Bill Gates, Tenaya Capital, Goldman Sachs, Wellcome Trust, and Four Rivers Group.
Today, 20 million members connect on the network, collaborate, and share their research. They report on their research as it happens and get feedback to make progress faster, post questions and answers, and find new jobs that fit their interest and research profiles.
At ResearchGate we are a bunch of pragmatic optimists from all around the world and many different backgrounds. Together, we focus on taking the web back to its original mission and changing the way scientists communicate for the better, created by scientists, to foster scientific collaboration and drive progress for a better world.
Our goal is to connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Our hiring process is transparent and uncomplicated. We are very aware that interview processes are a taxing phase in your life and respect your time and effort. We aim to have “just enough” process to ensure that we all can make an informed decision if it’s a mutual fit for both of us.
If you feel at any time we could do better or require accommodations for a better candidate experience, please let us know and we will fix it.
Your feedback is welcomed and appreciated.
Our headquarters are located at the heart of Berlin, one of the most exciting cities in the world and a place where people from all walks of life feel welcome. This is a full-time position based in either Germany or the UK. We are a digital first organisation and support mobile and flexible working. Visa assistance is available for Germany. Candidates with a preference for working in the UK will need to have existing, permanent working rights for the UK.