SchooLinks is a globally distributed, remote-friendly, and venture-backed startup. SchooLinks is an ed-tech company that is changing how students explore and pursue their post-high school goals. We have a suite of over 80 tools for students and school staff including college application management, course planning, financial situations, personality assessments, college profiles, and many others.
We presently do not have the ability to sponsor H1-B Visas
We're looking for an experienced Django back-end engineer who will write high-quality code, make sound and scalable architectural decisions, and grow our team by bringing and evangelize best practices.
What you'll do:
- You'll be working with a talented team of engineers, designers, and product people who have shipped 50+ features in the last 2 years and have established SchooLinks as a company that has found product-market fit and transitioned us into a hyper-growth phase.
- You will be an individual contributor on one of our three pods. Depending on your career aspirations you can move to move senior IC roles towards an engineering management track
- Participate in the product development process from start to finish, reviewing requirements and user stories to provide timely and meaningful feedback.
- Design and build solutions that will scale to millions of users
- Ship clean, readable, and maintainable back-end Django code
- Actively review code and mentor junior members of our engineering team
- Contribute and proactively elevate the quality of our codebase by writing tests and addressing technical debt
We're looking for people who have:
- 4 + years of Python and Django/ DRF experience
- 3 + years of experience working with AWS
- 3+ years of experience working with SQL database in production
- Experience building, supporting, and planning production
- Experience with asynchronous task management
Nice to haves -- experience with the following technology that we use regularly:
- AWS Lambda
Domain experience/interest in the following areas are a bonus:
- ETL and data integration with third party systems such as Student Information Systems
- Educational data
- Workforce development and career exploration
- Predictive analytics around educational outcomes
- What is the team size we'll be working with?
- You'll be working within one of our pods of 4-5 engineers, a designer, engineering lead, and QA engineer
- What's your tech stack and other tools you use daily?
- FE: React (16.14 with JS), React-query, some redux, but moving away from it and making more use of hooks and component state, GraphQL, Webpack. MUI, Nivo, Final Form
- BE: Django, DRF, Celery, MySQL, Redis
- Github, Jira, Slack, Notion, Loom
- Tell us about your dev practices
- Pragmatic is the best way to describe. We use eslint and prettier to keep code clean. We have some tests for code that we know is going to be around for a while or many modules depend on, but we're not strictly TDD. We tend to ship MVPs quickly and then go back and refactor and/or rebuild when we have more learnings and better ideas about how to abstract products. The name of the game for us is speed to market. We ship major releases every two weeks
- Tell us about your general working style
- Asynchronous - we tend to try to get as much communication into structured formats as possible -- PRs, documentation, comments, Jira tickets vs. scheduling meetings. We do try to have the majority of our meetings around our standup to make sure that our teammates have as much focused deep work time as possible
- Remote- we have a small number of engineers on-site, but many distributed as well as much of our leadership distributed, so you can be a full-fledged member of our team and not be in the office in Austin (this was from before the pandemic and will be the case after the pandemic)
- Driven- our team members really believe in what we're doing and we work hard because we're personally invested in the outcome and take ownership over the work we do
- Will you consider slightly less experienced candidates?
- Absolutely. We may consider exceptional candidates that have slightly less experience, but this is not a role for junior engineers.
- Competitive Salary
- Part of a remote-friendly company and a fully remote team/pod
- Flexible working hours and healthy asynchronous working practices
- Long term employment with considerations for promotion and raises every 6 months
- For US-based candidates:
- Full health (healthcare, vision, dental, ClassPass, etc.)
- Company 401k Program with up to 1% matching