is the world’s largest loyalty platform, providing easy-to-use reward programs that help scaling e-commerce brands transform one-time sales into repeat, loyal customers. Over 60,000 brands use Smile to turn transactional purchasers into passionate repeat shoppers.
We’re celebrating explosive growth and need your help empowering every entrepreneur to grow their brand and build lasting relationships with their customers. We are a remote-first company, and we believe you should be able to work from anywhere. We have team members working from home offices across the globe, and our team has never been more connected. Tell us where you'd like to work when you apply!
About the Team:
The engineering team at Smile.io
believes in being proud of your code, owning what you ship, and embracing new tools to increase developer happiness. We believe small, empowered teams can ship products with the highest impact. Right now we’re working on expanding our product to support the massive growth of e-commerce. We currently power over 60,000 rewards programs, reaching more than 500 million customers, and serving 1M API requests/hour. We use Terraform and Packer to build and manage a modern infrastructure hosted on AWS and based on Kubernetes. We manage and ensure the high availability of Smile's backend data stores (including Redis, PostgreSQL, Kafka, and Elasticsearch) and build and maintain the CircleCI workflows our developers use to ship product features and improvements every day.
We value diversity, inclusion, and belonging. It helps us build a better product, it helps us create opportunities for growth and change. It helps us enjoy the work we do and create a supportive creative environment to do our best work. It helps us to be human.
About the Role:
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, distributed, fault-tolerant systems. At Smile, SREs ensure that both our internally critical and our externally visible systems are reliable, have uptime appropriate to users' needs, and are run in an environment that allows quick iteration. Additionally SRE’s will keep an ever-watchful eye on the capacity and performance of our infrastructure. Much of our day to day work focuses on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure (via Infrastructure as Code), and eliminating work through automation.
What you'll help us achieve:
- Write, test, instrument, document, and maintain infrastructure as code for Smile.io
- Help scale, operate and improve the loyalty layer of the internet with our teams.
- Review code and provide thoughtful, constructive feedback for your team.
- Collaborate closely with Product, Design, and partner Engineering teams to develop new infrastructure capabilities in support of new features.
- Analyze how Smile's infrastructure is performing in production in order to learn and improve it
- Support a highly available service used by millions of users on a daily basis
Who you are:
- Have high empathy in everything you do
- 5+ years technical experience in software engineering or similar
- Have built, designed, and operated web experiences and systems at scale
- Enjoy and thrive in a remote-first, distributed work culture
- Are highly self-directed and take initiative to go above and beyond expectations
- Believe mentoring, and sharing information is better than hoarding it
- Able to pick up new concepts quickly and put them into practice
- Use data to validate your hypotheses and inform your decision making
- You enjoy automating and scaling
- You believe in simplicity over complexity
- You value agility and the ability to shift focus quickly
- You value products over projects
- You're more focused on outcomes over output
Bonus is you have:
- E-commerce industry experience
- API Development ExperienceExperience with complex data structures and data architecture
- Experience with automated integration testing and test automation
- Security by Design, and Privacy by Design principles
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, Postgres, Kafka, Elasticsearch
Who are we?
Everyone at Smile is driven by these core values:
Be Humble - think of the team before thinking of yourself. We have no room for massive egos.
Be Hungry - set hard goals, ask lots of questions, and learn every day.
Be Human - show empathy towards others, consider the impact of your decisions on other teams.
We know that Smile.io
as a business is in constant evolution - the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our growth, so we talk openly about our career & personal goals. With such a diverse team of people, we know we can offer you the mentorship, tools and encouragement you need to grow.