In a world of beeps and clicks, Smile reminds us there is a human on the other side of every screen. We are a globally distributed 50+ person company with employees in Canada, the USA, South America, EMEA, and APAC. Our team has a strong emphasis on cross-cultural and timezone collaboration. We've been recognized as a "Best Place to Work" in Canada and look forward to expanding this on a global scale.
Our team is building the loyalty layer of the internet and currently already powers over 80,000 rewards programs, reaching more than 500 million shoppers. Above everything else we strive to make people happy —from the merchant to their consumer, to our own team (yes, our name really is fitting).
About the Team:
The engineering team at Smile.io believes in being proud of your code, owning what you ship, and embracing new tools to increase developer happiness. We believe small, empowered teams can ship products with the highest impact. Right now we’re working on expanding our product to support the massive growth of eCommerce.
We are building a new Growth Squad, and they will focus on helping build, strategize, analyze, and iterate to help us grow our massive userbase into our next phase of growth. Loyalty programs bring together shoppers, merchants, and e-com platforms into a complex and interesting business environment. We see a combination of quick wins and strategic pushes available to us to help Smile grow our userbase to new heights.
About the Role:
As a Software Engineer focusing on Growth you'll be working on a distributed team with diverse skills across the tech stack. We build features, enhancements, experiments, and deliver sustainable, quality software in an agile environment. We'll move fast, and strategically to work in the Growth squad, but also collaborate with other agile squads to move the needle. Utilize metrics, and data to help shape hypothesis-driven development to help with our business goals.
What you'll help us achieve:
- You code, analyze, and much more.
- 5+ years of industry experience with the ability to work across the entire stack.
- Experience shipping fast, reliable, real-time applications using modern development technologies.
- Deep understanding of the tools that power marketing automation, experimentation, personalization, attribution, and analytics.
- You’re part of the hypotheses building, testing, and analyzing.
- You analyze data, automatize, find patterns, and come up with suggestions and results.
- You support the execution of growth experiments.
- You work with other people and help in leveraging the strengths of other group members to come up with clever solutions.
Who you are:
- Have high empathy in everything you do
- Have built web experiences and systems at scale
- Enjoy and thrive in a remote-first, distributed work culture
- Are highly self-directed and take initiative to go above and beyond expectations
- Value clear written and verbal communication
- Able to pick up new concepts quickly and put them into practice
- Use data to validate your hypotheses and inform your decision making
- You enjoy automating and scaling
- You believe in simplicity over complexity
- You value agility and the ability to shift focus quickly
- You value products over projects
- You’re more focused on outcomes over output
Bonus if you have:
- Ecommerce Industry Experience
- Startup experience: technical founder/co-founder, growth, or data roles
- Experience with conversion rate optimization
- Affinity for marketing and growth
- User Facing Applications: Ruby on Rails, Ember.js, React.js, HTML, CSS
- Services: Ruby, Go, Python, Data Layer, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, Kafka, Amazon Simple Queue Service, Snowflake, Metabase
- Environment & Infrastructure: GitHub, CircleCI, DataDog, Amazon Web Services, Terraform, Vault, Helm, Kubernetes
Our commitment to candidates:
At Smile, we understand that finding a new role is challenging and that self-doubt or imposter syndrome can prevent you from applying to a role, don’t let it! You have a ton to offer and we want you to feel encouraged to apply, even if you don’t check all of the boxes. If you are passionate about eCommerce and helping merchants grow through loyalty and reward, connect with us.
At Smile, we rely on a range of backgrounds, experiences, and ideas. We value diversity, and we’re proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.