About the role
As an early member of the engineering team, you will play a critical role in developing the product and building the foundation of the company. This includes everything from architecture to coding to testing and launching new features. The ideal candidate will be excited about joining an early-stage company, building from scratch, and having an outsized impact on both the engineering team and the overall business.
What you'll do:
- Architect, design and build Vareto’s scalable and reliable online services as well as core backend components
- Work closely with people across the company to understand customer needs and translate them into elegant product solutions
- Help establish processes to drive operational excellence in critical areas such as systems reliability, SLA management, and developer productivity
- Design cloud infrastructure (AWS) and developer tooling, including resource provisioning and management, as well as CI/CD infrastructure
- Ensure that the architecture matches industry standard security policies (and vice-versa)
- Shape the product roadmap and guide feature prioritization
- Build the company you want to work at
What we're looking for:
- Experience building distributed systems with a cloud service-oriented architecture (AWS is a plus)
- Experience designing, building, launching, and maintaining high-impact technical systems through the SDLC
- Experience in the design of high throughput, low latency, large-scale distributed systems
- Experience with productivity and/or collaboration software is a plus
- A strong communicator who can articulate nuanced ideas clearly whether it's explaining technical decisions in writing or brainstorming together in real time
- Bonus points if you have prior work experience at a startup
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Are pragmatic and care about the business impact of what you're building.
- Can handle disagreements and engage thoughtfully with other perspectives, making compromises when needed.
- Have a passion for upholding engineering best practices, from writing documentation to creating maintainable code.
- Are not ideological about technological choices and understand that there's no "one solution fits all."
- Are excited to mentor and learn from other engineers, and believe that no one is above code review.
- Enjoy a flat, rapidly growing organizational structure without red tape.
- Enjoy wearing multiple hats (bonus points if you like to dabble in product, design, presentations, business strategy, or other functional areas).
Is your experience close to what we’ve described but maybe you feel you’re missing a few of the requirements? We encourage you to apply anyway. We look for people with exceptional potential, and we know this can take many forms. We believe the highest performing teams include people with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences.