Remote CFO (Full Time, $100,000/year)
If after working in finance for years, you are hungry to exercise your full range of skills as a full-fledged CFO, this role is for you. This role will be the right fit for a high-capacity, technology-loving, finance leader who enjoys getting down into the weeds, transition manual processes into the cloud, and automating finance functions for growth.
We are a privately held group of companies that buy, operate, and hold small family-owned businesses in Austin, TX. In the past year, we have acquired two small businesses and are looking for a CFO to join our portfolio of small companies as we grow. Our investment in enduringly profitable service businesses enables us to own 100% of our business and, with conservative growth and debt, purchase new businesses. We’re not just looking for a CFO, but rather a long-term partner who will write the playbook for post-acquisition finance transformation and then execute that playbook as we acquire more businesses.
Reporting to the CEO and working remotely, the CFO will initial be responsible for financial operations for two small businesses (each with >$2M/year in revenue). Your task here will be to standardize and run the core finance functions for both businesses: monthly closing, running payroll, invoicing, AR, AP, and tax. Once the financial infrastructure has been standardized and matured, your role will transition to preparing to add a third small business to the portfolio.
- Own both companies finance, accounting, and HR functions including: operating budget, forecasting, compliance, financial reporting, annual financial audit, federal and state tax, payroll (including benefit plans)
- Close out the month on the 1st of the next month, producing accurate P&L and Statement of Cash Flow reports
- Build systems for proper accounting and finance operations, including myriad invoice types & schedules, receipt management, etc.
- Refine & execute the AR process, including monitoring AR aging reports on a weekly basis, enrolling late customers on an email campaign until payment is received, tracking down lost or overdue payments
- Oversee the AP function to ensure appropriate invoice and expense approval process in accordance with company policies.
- Maintain appropriate insurance coverage for corporations and facilities
- Monitor cash balances and cash forecasts
- Assist with tax document preparation
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Run payroll on Gusto using imported data from multiple sources
- Self-driven and proactive; able to confidently lead your portion of a workstream or project independently with limited guidance
- A "get things done" mentality. You move fast and you don’t settle for the status quo, always on the hunt for the next big thing. Adept at multitasking.
- Comfortable putting in place organizational structure and has a strong opinion on how to develop a finance and accounting organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, operations, research, statistics, math, economics, or related analytical discipline preferred.
- Master’s degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience. CPA is a plus but not required