The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Software Engineering Manager for our Technology department in our Reston, VA office or flexible work arrangement for applicants local to the Northern Virginia, DC, MD area.
About the Role
The Software Engineering Manager will manage external customer facing transactional data system for SAT Suite of Assessments. This leadership role is responsible for managing, planning, scheduling, communicating, facilitating, monitoring, controlling, and reporting technical product management related tasks to ensure timely implementation for College Board applications and services. These responsibilities include managing cross-functional teams (or Integrated Product Teams), and delivering approved systems on time and with quality results. The Software Engineering Manager will have an overall understanding of current and upcoming AWS cloud, and large-scale transactional development experience, including working with all levels of executive leadership on the business and technology sides of the organization.
Responsibilities of the role
- For initiatives to which they are assigned, the Software Engineering Manager, will manage poly-skilled Agile team(s) - often comprised of a mix of College Board employees, outsourced consultant teams, and contractors - to successfully deliver the systems and continue to improve on the existing processes and culture of the organization including:
- Requirements gathering / analysis / solutions / options
- Communication practices
- Scope management
- Integration planning
- Development / integration
- Documentation / artifact management
- Risk management
- Quality assurance and oversight
- Executive leadership, updates, and decision making
- Own and drive all product delivery details, issues, etc.
- Manage the schedule, quality, cost, and resources.
- Provide regular updates to technology and business executives.
- Raise key decision points and risks to the executive steering committee for resolution,
- Evaluate and manage vendor relationships as it relates to services being provided as well as software/hardware vendors supporting our organization.
- Develop and drive incremental quality and agility into the organization as it relates to assigned product deliverables.
- Ensure that technology standards and processes are consistently followed and enhanced.
- Provide thought leadership and direction throughout the development lifecycle including the evaluation of various implementations and tools at the early stages of initiative while strategically supporting the technology direction and advancement of the group.
- Grow College Board institutional knowledge and education domain knowledge over time in order to drive a business-oriented perspective for Data Engineering teams being led
- Manage staff through the use of Agile Scrum Best Practices and internal College Board guidelines, utilizing formal and informal communications mechanisms to; define goals and objectives, provide and allow for open communications, effectively evaluate staff performance, and assist with compensation reviews and recommendations.
- Planning, organizing, and monitoring, College Board product delivery; managing cross-functional teams, responsible for delivering the approved systems on time and with quality results. Specifically, to include the following:
- Develop and track detailed delivery plans and provide detailed reports of progress against plan to include quality metrics.
- Participate in and facilitate business analysis and system design activities.
- Resolve problems, determine solutions, and track and manage issues.
- Mentor, coach, and provide feedback to teams throughout the product delivery lifecycle, to include contribution to performance reviews of team members.
- Continuously improve, develop, and implement best practices in accordance with IT standards and procedures and the Agile Maturity Model (AMM).
- Monitors data industry trends and evolving standards related to data management best practices. Ensures that deliverables adhere and utilizing best practices applicable and aligned with The College Board data product directions.
- Act as a change agent for acceptance of IT divisional directives and facilitates process ownership for specific life-cycle improvement initiatives.
- Manage work culture to ensure the mission and operating principles of The College Board are consistently recognized and utilized to promote a productive and fair work environment.
Qualifications needed for the role
- Bachelor’s degree is required (MS or MBA preferred).
- The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 - 7 years of experience in large scale external customer facing transactional data systems and applying knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to a broad range of life-cycle activities in order to meet the requirements for data initiatives and process improvement to include requirement management, Use Cases; Single Page Application with serverless Microservices architecture development; functional and performance testing; and software configuration hosted in AWS Cloud.
- Experience in leading cross-functional, technology-oriented planning or data implementation product delivery – including working with all levels of executive leadership on the business and technology sides of organizations.
- Must be highly effective at working with all levels of executive leadership. Strong communication skills, customer relationship management skills, and team leadership skills are paramount to the success of this role.
- Must have experience managing medium size teams (5 to 10) – both directly and indirectly in support of technology implementations.
- Must have demonstrated experience and appreciation for transactional data management methodologies and all aspects of the data lifecycle, including preparing an organization for ongoing operational support.
- Successful experience presenting to senior level executives.
- The ideal candidate is a strategic and consultative leader who has had success leading technology initiatives, demonstrates strong creativity and innovative thinking, is knowledgeable about the education industry, and has the ability to lead and manage product development initiatives.
- Knowledge of crossover/interdependencies between infrastructure tasks and development activities.
Preferred skills and other attributes for the role
- Experience managing and leading developers, architects, testers, etc.
- Experience in serverless architecture using AWS Cloud services.
- Must be able to multitask and lead and manage multiple teams simultaneously while providing appropriate direction and oversight.
- Must be a result oriented, get things done leader – with a history of success and the desire to help an organization evolve and grow.
- Experience managing outsourced teams is a plus.
- Advanced problem solving and negotiation skills.
- Strong demonstrated customer service orientation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in managing matrixed teams.
- Stress/performance test experience for large sets of users is a plus.