The Role/About the opportunity
Do you pride yourself in the ability to motivate and manage a team to bring a project vision to life?
We are looking for someone highly organised with strong project management skills who is comfortable working with technical topics (web design, development etc) to help us drive internal projects forward. For example, if we have a plan to re-design a landing page for a key product
, you're the one who pulls all of the elements (through marketing, design and development) together to make it happen on schedule and efficiently (while prioritising other projects as appropriate).
We are looking ideally for someone who can dedicate approximately 10-20 hours a week, with opportunity of increased involvement as the company and our needs grow.
You can live anywhere in the world but we ask that your working hours overlap at least to some extent with the 9am-5pm CET (Central European Time) workday so you can interact with the rest of the team. Our core working hours are between 10am-2pm CET.
What you’ll do
You will work closely with the CEO, designers and developers to drive forward internal projects to achieve business objectives.
- Work closely with the CEO to identify, prioritize and document important outcomes and deliverables of all projects.
- Draft project briefs, plan project milestones, identify progress tracker metrics and ensure appropriate resourcing in accordance with the team's skillsets and availabilities, while taking into account open product design/development projects in-flight.
- Ensure project deliverables are of high quality (QA checks) and are completed on time.
- Ensure designers and developers understand the desired outcomes and project manage their work through to completion.
- Proactively identify and resolve potential delays and concerns and eliminate/minimize blockers to ensure optimal team effectiveness and productivity.
What our ideal candidate looks like
- You have 2+ years of technical project management experience working with designers and developers in a remote setting (e.g. website design, development, etc), preferably in an agency, software company or online business. You are able to manage and influence without direct authority and love moving fast and constantly iterating.
- You are professional, mature and work best with minimal direction. You value autonomy, ownership and accountability, not micromanagement. You don't need someone detailing every step of the way - you can soar at a high level and dive into the nitty-gritty while pulling the team along.
- You understand the business objectives and can connect the dots so that when push comes to shove, you know how to ruthlessly prioritize and keep the team laser focused on the tasks and projects that matter.
- You have a strong understanding of each project's goals and contribution towards overall business objectives, and are able to communicate that to the team in concise, easy-to-understand yet thorough project briefs and updates throughout the project (you know how important communication is to keeping everyone aligned!).
- All your projects have been completed on-time, and if they weren't, you dug in to understand why, proactively communicated with the team throughout the project and made adjustments as needed to complete the project and for the future.
- You have strong written communication skills (we primarily use Slack and Notion) and you are able to work with a diverse team in various time zones.
- You have worked on a small team before, have strong 'managing up' skills (ideally directly with a CEO and Product Manager in a remote startup or small company) and understand the nuances needed to balance workload and accurately estimate project ETAs based on the team's skillsets and availabilities.
- 2+ years of technical project management experience with ability to lead and collaborate with cross-functional partners, prioritize high impact activities, and keep complex projects moving forward.
- Very autonomous, take ownership, and hold yourself and others accountable
- Strong written communication skills/influence without authority and 'managing up' skills
- Driven by data, alignment to business objectives and strong prioritization skills
- The ability to synthesize ideas, data and findings into easily digestible summaries and recommendations for the CEO.
- Familiarity with and interest in the world of WordPress (website design, development, themes, plugins, hosting and so on)
Based on our anticipated needs of 10-20 hours a week, we are looking to pay the right candidate between $20-$35/hour, commensurate with experience.
'The ‘a’ in aThemes stands for Awesome. That’s right—we don’t beat around the bush.
We create well-designed and easy to use WordPress themes, backed by speedy support and frequent updates. We have 100k+ users from around the world. Our blog reaches hundreds of thousands a month with our reviews, roundups, and guides.
Those numbers are growing. Needless to say, we could do with some help. That’s where you come in!
How we work
We are a small, tight-knit team of 10, distributed globally. We don't mind where you work: from home, a co-working space, a coffee shop — wherever you feel the most inspired.
With a flat structure, you’ll work closely with the CEO and team to explore new ideas and run tests to identify the best ones to pursue.
If you see a better way to do something, we’re open to feedback. We don't believe things are set in stone. We want to find the best ideas and go big. We create the space and give you the autonomy to do that.
What you'll get if you join us
- Competitive compensation. We value your work and contribution and strive to pay above average market rates, regardless of where you live.
- True flexibility. While we do ask for a few hours of overlap each day, outside of that, you are free to work whenever and wherever suits you best.
- Massive autonomy. No one likes to be micro-managed, and we don't like to micro-manage anyone (If you need that kind of hand holding and direction, we're not going to be your cup of tea!) We hire people who are excited to own their work and we look to you to tell us the big levers in your role that'll make the most impact.
- Huge growth and learning opportunity. Excited to work on big picture strategy and drive it through to completion? You'll have direct access to the CEO, who encourages you to test and validate ideas and ensure you'll have all the help and resources needed to excel in your role!
We've been in business since 2013, and profitable since day 1. We are carving our own path in the WordPress world - no investor money, nor financial obligations to anyone but ourselves. If you're pumped to join a team where your work actually matters and you can see the results of your hard earned successes, we can't wait to hear from you!