Position: Industrial Designer
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon (not remote, no relocation offered)
Reports To: Advanced Development & Design Manager
Department: Product Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
At Yakima we believe in connecting you, your family, friends and all your favorite gear to your desired destination or activity through our mission of enhancing the journey and earning trust every day. In this role you will create relevant, emotionally-charged designs fueled by Yakima’s successfully proven consumer insights process. It requires outstanding product design skills coupled with knowledge of manufacturing materials and processes. You will partner cross-functionally to ensure design feasibility and integrity while meeting profit objectives and project timelines.
What You’ll Be Accountable For:
• Developing innovative solutions that perform well in the market while meeting technical, manufacturing, and cost specifications.
• Contributing to advanced development of next generation hard and soft goods products.
• Collaborating with Product Managers, Engineering, Marketing and other groups to meet or exceed the business goals on-time and within budget as set forth by Product Marketing.
• Partnering closely with Design Engineers to achieve a refined balance of technical and design sensibility.
• Identifying user and trade focused product needs and opportunities using industrial design and research processes and tools.
• Communicating and presenting designs to internal and external audiences including Executive Staff, Product Development team, Product Managers, Marketing, and Sales force.
• Carry out other duties, responsibilities, and projects as may be assigned, in an effective manner.
• Using ID process, generate design solutions to solve product challenges.
• Work with engineers, shop personnel, and outside suppliers to provide prototypes, models, and the like, to demonstrate the feasibility of a design and prove the concept.
• Hands-on concept design and model construction.
• Conduct user research, user testing and concept validation.
• Conduct and participate in market research, and determine user values and opportunities.
• Become a primary stakeholder in refining Yakima soft goods capabilities
• Present design concepts to multidisciplinary audiences.
• Work closely with Product Managers, Design Engineers, Quality Engineers and Manufacturing Engineers.
• Work with internal and external partners to ensure industrial design quality.
• Work closely with local and offshore team members.
• Continuously improve our product development tools and processes.
• Keep informed of latest developments in the field through reading, individual contacts, trade shows and attendance at appropriate meetings.
What you Bring:
• A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in Industrial Design.
• 3-5 years of professional experience in the field of Industrial Design.
• Proficiency in 3D CAD - Rhino or SolidWorks and Keyshot.
• Proficiency in 2D software – Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop & InDesign.
• Proficient in a variety of MS Office applications, including Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
• A strong aptitude for all things mechanical and maintaining strong knowledge of current automotive and outdoor product trends, finishes, technologies and vehicle-related products be it through travel and/or research.
• Understanding of manufacturing processes including but not limited to injection molding, die casting, thermoforming, extrusion, stamping, punching, welding, tube bending, printing, painting, plating, and soft goods
• Demonstrated experience in the design and production of soft goods desirable
• Strong presentation skills. Effectiveness in a variety of formal presentation settings within and outside of the company. The ability to command attention and manage group process during the presentation. Can change tactics midstream when something isn't working without audience noticing. Ability to understand and incorporate all levels of brand marketing plans and ideals in to presentations.
• The ability to work independently with minimal direction, but also work cohesively in a team environment.
• Demonstrably excellent organizational and project/time management skills
• Capable of managing multiple projects in a deadline driven environment
• Demonstrably effective interpersonal verbal and written communication skills, both within the department and cross-functionally
• Knowledge of the outdoor sports hard goods and/or automotive industries a plus
Work takes place in both an office setting as well as Model Shop/Test Lab environment which necessitates the ability to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls and safely operate machinery such as hand drills, drill press, sanders, electric hoists and various hand tools This job may require working more than 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours a week. It requires the ability to sit and work at a computer for extended periods of time and communicate effectively with a diverse audience in person, by phone and by computer. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift, push, and carry up to 50lbs. Must be able to travel domestically and/or internationally via commercial carrier. Must possess a valid U.S. driver’s license and a good driving record.
Yakima Products has a culture of honesty, respect and trust, and we are committed to providing an environment where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees without regard to their membership in any protected classification such as sex, race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, marital status, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions) genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other status protected under applicable local, state, or federal law. Yakima Products is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship including, but not limited to: recruitment, hiring, training, advancement and termination.
Yakima believes in doing the right thing, and is committed to enhancing our diversity, and demonstrating that commitment to our employees, customers and community. The Company promotes diversity by developing policies, programs and procedures that foster a work environment in which differences are respected and employees are treated fairly.