Kumu is a bootstrapped data viz platform that helps people understand complex relationships, primarily through network, systems, and stakeholder maps. We’ve spent the past seven years refining Kumu’s visualization platform to make it the premier place for understanding complicated relationships and tackling complex problems. We’ve also launched a series of related products: Weavr (https://weavr.app/product
) and Sticky Studio (https://sticky.studio
) and support efforts to crowdsource understanding of complex systems through Undercurrent (https://undercurrent.io/
One of our fastest growing revenue streams is Kumu Enterprise, which allows organizations to run Kumu in a virtual machine on dedicated servers. We’re looking for an experienced engineer to lead enterprise development, who isn’t afraid to get their hands dirty with VMs, linux, shell scripting, networking, and a parallel product release cycle.
You’ll also work on the hosted version of Kumu (https://kumu.io
) to build new features and join our ongoing efforts to modernize the codebase as we continue to migrate from CoffeeScript and Backbone, to TypeScript and React.
We’ve worked with some of the world’s top organizations including The Omidyar Group, Gates Foundation, Hewlett Foundation, USAID, Stanford ChangeLabs, 100Kin10, Democracy Fund, World Bank, Humanity United and more.
- Full-time remote position
- Salary $60-80k
- Equity 1-2%
- ARR over $500k
- Flexible hours within a small, mission-driven team
- Annual adventure retreats
- Stack: react, rails, typescript, webpack/babel, aws, git, vmware/virtualbox, vagrant, packer
- Bonus points for experience with: tdd, graphs/networks, couchdb, elasticsearch, cloudformation, ubuntu, docker, and bash
You’re probably a great fit if:
- You’re a talented web developer (both frontend and backend)
- You live and breathe security practices
- You’re comfortable getting around a linux machine in a virtual environment
- You’ve built and maintained a complex library, single page web app, or product
- You work well setting your own priorities and working with lots of freedom
- You’re excited about (or at least don’t mind getting dragged into) snowboarding in Bend, rock climbing in Utah, surfing in Costa Rica, or whitewater rafting in Colorado.
On a day-to-day basis you’ll be working with Dan (@_danprince
). You’ll be involved throughout the entire development process, from initial brainstorms and sketching to the final stages of testing and release. We move fast and ship often, and try to break work into weekly deliverables to keep everyone’s expectations and progress in check. We do a hangout at the beginning of each week to reconnect and revisit everyone’s immediate priorities.
If you’re interested, please send an email to [email protected]
including the following:
- Tell us a little about yourself. Who are you? Where do you come from? What skills have you mastered?
- Tell us about a project you’ve worked on that you’re proud of
- Include links where we could learn more about you professionally and personally (website/github/twitter/medium/instagram/etc)
- Include a recent photo of you doing something that you love
- Tell us why you're excited to work for Kumu
Experienced developers only. Generic applications will be ignored. Thanks!