Relive is an app
used by more than 13 million people
to track and share their outdoor adventures. Everything from epic bike rides in the mountains to long walks in the forest. We think that being outdoors and exploring the world around you is amazing for your mental and physical wellbeing, and we're on a mission to get everyone exploring the outdoors and living a healthy and active life.
We’re passionate about being outdoors, sharing stories, and creating a company where we love to work. Bringing the best out of everyone as a team. That means constantly learning new things, being flexible about when and where we work, and empowering each other to do the best work of our lives. When doing things at Relive, we like to learn fast, together - creating a product people love to use and share. This means a lot to us. We have an open team culture and a bias towards action.
We're growing fast (100% YoY for most metrics, this year we'll add millions of new users) but we've never paid a euro to acquire a user. We currently grow 100% organically via viral/word of mouth growth loops. This works because our users love our product and love to share it with their friends and family. We are aiming to have more than 100 million users of Relive within the next 3 years.
🧑🏫 Head of Design at Relive
We're looking for a Head of Design that can lead and develop product design within Relive. You'll combine your analytical and creative mindset to grow, guide and inspire our group of talented product designers and our design culture - making sure we're constantly on top of our product design game. You are the primary voice of product design inside and outside Relive, sharing its work, evangelising its success, and articulating its vision.
Your job is to successfully lead and grow our talented group of product designers (3 right now, 7 by the end of this year) and increase the effectiveness and impact of product design at Relive
. You'll also be supporting our Product Analysts and Product Managers to help them improve their qualitative user research skills. You can find a more detailed overview of the traits we look for in our product designers here
💡 What would I work on?
While it will be up to you to figure out the right approach to improve our design culture at Relive there's a few focus areas we already know will need your attention:
- An important challenge for you will belevelling up our user research game. Today each of our teams is talking to users constantly - multiple times per week across product designers, product analysts and PMs. But very few of our team have experience in conducting high-quality user research and have learned on the job. You'll be expected to help set up best practices along with the right tooling and process so we can get more out of every user interaction.
- Our existing team of designers need a leader to help with their personal development. You'll set up rhythms and rituals to understand their performance and happiness, and work with them to improve their skills and get them to where they are aiming for in their careers (even when that's outside of Relive).
- We're also busy growing the number of product teams to allow us to tackle new and bigger challenges. We'll need your help to figure out the best way to attract amazing design talent to Relive. It's also important to us that we can find and hire less obvious candidates. We already have great programs for less experienced developers and product managers to gain experience and grow into future stars for Relive - we hope to do the same for the next generation of product designers.
⭐ The highlights
- You'll lead a strong team of product designers in a company that is user obsessed. You won't need to fight to convince the leadership team of this approach - we truly believe that the success of our company and our product depends on us finding the right user problems to solve, and the right solutions for those problems.
- We work in empowered and autonomous product teams. The teams are given clear focuses areas, ambitious objectives, and the safety and trust to do amazing things. The best summary of this mindset is Inspired by Marty Cagan. If you don't have a copy of the book we'll buy you one.
- Our product is growing fast - adding millions of new users in 2021. We grow 100% organically, our users love our product and share it with their friends and family.
- The way we work as product teams is at the forefront of modern product building - no scrum, no backlogs or estimates, no coordinating across different departments, no red tape or CEOs telling you what features to build. Just smart people with high autonomy and lots of context about our users and the problems they face.
- If you want to work on a consumer product with insane growth and are ready to grow yourself and learn faster than you could ever imagine then Relive could be the place for you.
👋 Remote first
We're a remote-first company. That means all our rituals and teams are designed for remote working. You can work in any country in a similar time zone (we're CET) as we've not mastered the art of working across timezones and we don't plan to invest our time in that challenge in the next few years. In practice, that means being located somewhere in Europe.
We have an office in Rotterdam 🇳🇱 where you can work if you prefer a physical space, and we're happy to help you relocate here if you choose.
We expect everyone on the team to get together a few times a year as we still think it's useful to make in-person bonds to strengthen our remote-first culture. That means a few times a year you can expect to travel to Rotterdam to spend time with your team, make connections, and have some fun together.
Happy at Relive 🤙
- Key position in a growing startup
- 35+ passionate people working on a product they love
- Possibility for personal growth and development
- Lots of responsibility and a real chance to make an impact
👩🏾🚀 Explorers policy
- Get a MacBook Pro
- €50/month for work-from-home expenses
- Unlimited use of co-working spaces
- Work from any location (+/- 1 hours CET)
- 2x team meetups per year to meet in person (and do fun stuff)
🔭 What we're looking for
👍 Our Head of Design is:
- User obsessed - you love talking to our users and help push everyone around you to put our users at the heart of everything we do.
- A culture builder - you naturally take the lead when it comes to building an epic design culture at Relive. You're always looking at how we can improve and pushing those around you to be the best they can be.
- Analytical - you know the value that data brings to the design process. You know that a lot of the time we'll be wrong so you appreciate the benefit of A/B testing to help understand the impact we're having.
- Focused on insights and problems before solutions - you know that great solutions come from understanding our users. You drive our process of generating insights about our users and defining problems for us to solve.
👎 On the flip side, our Head of Design is not:
- Happier in Figma than talking to users - if you'd rather spend a few hours in Figma than understanding our users you're probably not a fit for us.
- A perfectionist - we've got a long journey ahead. You need to be willing to move quickly, experiment, and fail. Our product shouldn't always look perfectly groomed. Not every process needs to be perfected before we move on to the next. High standards are great, moving slowly will kill us.
- Project minded - we're all about continuous discovery. There's rarely room at Relive to run big research projects or spend weeks diving into a specific problem. You're comfortable building a continuous discovery practice and knowing when to stay on the surface and when to go deeper.
🙋 Who you are
- Experience - You’ve helped build and scale consumer products before. You’ve spent at least 3 years leading 3 to 10 product designers in multi-disciplinary teams (with short product cycles, from discovery to shipping at scale)
- Strong product instincts - You're opinionated about what makes a product great, and how to make a great product. You're humble enough to know that you can be wrong.
- Analytical - Strong analytical skills and experimentation mindset that drives their decision-making (bias towards evidence-based product design)
- Design culture - Proven experience in building and growing a data-informed product design culture.
- A great user researcher - You're experienced in a variety of user research techniques. You can bring practical experience to guide the rest of Relive to level up their skills.
- Scaling teams - You know how to attract great talent to Relive. You've experienced the challenges that we'll face when going from a few scrappy designers to a world-class product organisation.
- Fast learner, eager to share - You’re always looking to grow your own skills and love to share what you learn with the rest of the team.