Who is Litmus?
We’re a tight-knit team that helps the world empower our customers to curate best-of-class email communication. Over the last 10+ years, we’ve built a reputation as one of the most trusted brands and thought-leaders in the industry—and it shines through to our customers. But don’t take our word for it, check out more about us here
Quality communication is imperative; we value this in both our personal and work lives here at Litmus. Our email creation, testing, and analytics platform empowers marketers, designers, and agencies to confidently deliver quality, brand-aligned communications that delight our customers.
We work alongside some of the smartest people in our industry. We’re the change-agent for the most creative and supportive customers around. Litmus is championed by major global brands, including 9 of the Top 10 technology companies, 9 of the Top 10 U.S. banks, 10 of the Top 10 retailers, 9 of the Top 10 e-commerce brands, and 80% of the Fortune 100: How do we do this? We seek talent that is not a “culture fit,” rather a culture add.
What would I do at Litmus?
We're looking for a remote Ruby on Rails developer—already eligible to work out of the US or UK (with EST / UTC time zone overlap) to help expand our product line, improve our existing products, and help build the next generation of Litmus tools. Continuing our mission to provide exceptional support to our growing customer base.
A typical day for one of our developers might include:
- Collaborating within our Rails team, and reviewing code to help everyone on the team do their best work.
- Talking with our Design team to figure out the best way to present a new feature to our customers.
- Working with our Product team to understand product and marketing goals, and work out a good path to implementing them.
- Partnering with our .NET team to integrate with our internal APIs; and
- Working with customer support to investigate and fix bugs.
What's it like to work in Engineering at Litmus?
You'd work alongside a team of smart, curious people working on challenging problems. We're a motley crew of developers with a diverse set of skills and backgrounds. Most importantly, we're supportive of one another; we work as a team to enable each other to do our best work.
Best work can mean a lot of things. We care about testing, and apply that through a mix of unit, integration, and acceptance tests. That diligence allows us to ship early and often through an automated continuous integration and delivery process.
We're also strong believers of using the right tool for the job. We lean heavily on Rails and the traditional request/response web lifecycle for most of our work. That said, we reach for component frameworks like Vue when there's a clear benefit, and we've implemented full client-side MVC/SPA when the product demanded it.
We give our team members the time and space to learn and apply these and other tools correctly. We share our knowledge
with each other on a regular basis through pairing, PR reviews, and team talks.
What can I expect in the first 60 days?
In your first week, you will:
- Receive your work computer, credentials, and anything else you might need to get started
- Set up your new laptop for development and help contribute any improvements you spot back to our onboarding documentation.
- Be introduced to your Engineering Buddy – someone you can lean on for help and pairing
- Walk through the product/features, various tools, and software we use
- Connect via All-Hands meeting with the Applications team
- Experience little wins. You’ll be set up with some smaller pieces of work to help you find your feet in our codebase
In your first month, you will:
- Begin a journey around our applications team, getting exposure working in one of our teams to gain experience of our problem domain and our technology stack
- Become familiar and comfortable with our software development process: Iterative development, writing well-tested code, working in a small cross-functional team
- Ship customer-facing features
After your first couple of months, you will:
- Start to feel a bit settled, having developed some good fundamentals for our problem space and gained exposure to how one or more teams work asynchronously. At this point, we’ll look to place you into a specific Applications team, where you’ll have a more focused domain to work in, and a team to support you on your journey.
What are we looking for in a candidate?
- You have a well-founded understanding of Ruby and Ruby on Rails. We won't limit to ‘x’ years’ experience, but you should be able to impress us with your app building skills, confident use of Ruby and Rails, and understanding of web development. We're happy to introduce you to the other technologies we use.
- You have professional experience writing software, and have been building product/features in the industry for at least a couple of years.
- You know how to build things from start to finish. You can identify a need, understand its impact, and seek out and work with others to deliver a well-crafted solution in a team environment—asking for help when needed.
- You have good communication skills. As a distributed team, it’s important that we're able to understand each other, verbally and in writing, connecting at the appropriate level of abstraction. You communicate clearly and with empathy, whether you’re discussing refactoring options with a developer, or working with a designer to understand user experience.
- You write clean, thoughtful code. Our code is the home that we live in every day. You enjoy putting effort into crafting understandable and well-tested code, to make everyone’s shared development experience more enjoyable.
- You are eager to collaborate, learn and teach. Our Engineering team is friendly and supportive of each other, and we look for opportunities to learn from each other’s experience.
Why should I choose Litmus?
We offer everything you'd expect from a financially successful and profitable startup, with the stability of a company that's been going strong for over ten years.
- 28 days of paid vacation—that’s on top of team retreats, wellness days, and public holidays.
- Family-friendly. Flexible schedules along with generous parental leave policies.
- Remote-friendly culture. You'll join a completely distributed engineering team, and will benefit from the first-class remote experience we've created—giving you the flexibility to work where you want, with all of the tools and resources you need to succeed.
- The best tools and technology money can buy. Top of the line hardware, software, and whatever else you need to be awesome.
- Affinity Groups, volunteer days, platform for good. The space and time to make a positive impact both inside and outside of work.
What is the hiring process like?
Our hiring team reviews all applications. We communicate with candidates at every step of the process, letting them know if we'll be moving forward, and what they can expect in the next phase.
- Initial interview. In a relaxed, Slack/text-based chat, you’ll meet the hiring team, tell us about yourself, and learn more about Litmus and this role in particular.
- Sample project. We'll ask you to complete a time-boxed exercise on your schedule as an example of your best work. Your code, commit history, and resume will be anonymized and passed to the engineering team for review.
- Follow-up interview. You'll meet with the hiring team on a Zoom call to discuss your sample project, share context around decisions made along the way, and chat about other technical topics.
- Final round. Spend a day pairing with your hiring manager on extensions to your sample project, and meet some of our engineering leaders and the rest of our Rails team over Zoom!
Not sure if you meet all the requirements? Please apply! We know there is no job description that can measure a person’s attitude, aptitude, or amplitude (the ability to turn it up a notch) and so we highly encourage you to apply.
It’s the company you keep. The people at Litmus are truly amazing—celebrating what makes each individual unique. With outstanding profitable growth and the trust of more than 700,000 marketers, you know you’re part of a winning team.
Litmus provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.