IN A NUTSHELL
has grown rapidly since its inception, and we’re looking to magnify the capabilities of our technology teams to keep pace with that ongoing growth, while remaining Australia’s Best Place to Work
We’re on the search for a DevOps Engineer, to shepherd our ongoing efforts to standardize our environments, streamline our continuous integration and deployment pipelines, and champion a “configuration as code” philosophy across our business. In this role, you’ll be working closely with our Infrastructure Team Lead as well as your Technology Team and Data Team colleagues, to improve workflow efficiency.
Bring us your problem solving skills, quick wit and fast fingers. In return we’ll provide you with a culture of intellectual honesty, autonomy to do your work and the tools you need to get sh*t done.
WHY WORK IN THE BELLROY TECHNOLOGY TEAM?
We’re always looking for better ways to do things. We’re switching to using Haskell
as our principal technology stack, deploying microservices on AWS Lambda
alongside our legacy systems. Bellroy’s e-commerce platform was initially built in Ruby on Rails
and hosted on AWS
. As the company grew, doing things the “Rails way” wasn’t enough to tame the complexity of our systems. So far our new microservices have been faster, more stable and more maintainable, but our infrastructure and workflow has become more complex. We’ve managed this complexity by encouraging a DevOps culture but the time has come for a specialist to spearhead that discipline within the team.
We love to learn and try new things. We’ve recently started using Nix
to standardise our development environments; we value the reproducibility and quick setup times this has given our team. We’re transitioning to Terraform
as our principal tool for managing our infrastructure. We’re extending the “configuration as code” mindset not only to our infrastructure but to our CMS content and product catalogue, and we want you to champion and facilitate that mission.
You can expect to learn a lot while you’re here (even if you’re already better than all of us at DevOps). We will support your development with an allocated learning budget, hack days, and company-wide learning events. The Technology Team runs a book club, having regular discussions about books that anyone in the team can nominate. We’ve discussed books like Don’t Make Me Think
and The Pragmatic Programmer,
and worked through courses together. There will be plenty of opportunities to expand your knowledge; we always have interesting projects on the go that will challenge you.
YOU COULD BE THE ONE IF YOU…
- Have experience in a DevOps Engineer or Site Reliability Engineer role
- Have a deep and abiding love of the Linux CLI
- Are familiar with AWS infrastructure (we currently use Lambda, API Gateway, DynamoDB, RDS, Aurora, CloudFormation along with all the standard services you’d expect)
- Are across Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment tools and techniques (we currently use Github Actions for CI)
- Get really irritated when you hear someone say “well, it worked on my machine”
- Prefer mastering your craft over managing people (for now, but you’re welcome to change your mind about that in the future)
- Want to work alongside a highly competent technical team, supported by world-class professionals in product design, data science, logistics, production, sales, finance and customer support
- Don’t work just to pay the bills, but also because you’re passionate about achieving great outcomes for your team
- Get excited about great ideas, wherever they come from – books, blogs and podcasts, technical and non-technical, lunch table conversations, …
- Want to work for a company that uses business as a force for good
WE’D GET REALLY EXCITED IF YOU…
WHY WORK FOR BELLROY?
is to inspire better ways to carry; use business as a force for good; and help the world – and our crew – flourish. We make great carry products that delight people in their everyday lives, while constantly innovating to improve the sustainability of our materials
. We donate a portion of our revenue to some of the world’s most effective charities and are a certified B Corporation
We have carefully built our culture on radical effectiveness. Our credo is "smart people with good intentions who get shit done" (yes, really). We help our staff love their work and grow as people. Internally, we’re proud of our workplace culture; externally, we’ve been recognised as Australia’s Best Place to Work 2021
, in the "< 100 Employees" category. We have two awesome physical workspaces in Victoria, Australia - one in the heart of Melbourne’s Fitzroy,
and a smaller space in Bells Beach
. Our remote team members are a critical part of our business, and are treated as such. Prior to 2020, we got our local and remote people all together in the same space once or twice a year. We plan to do this again once practical.LOCATION
Fitzroy or remote, that’s up to you. We have people that work with and for Bellroy in Australia, Asia, Africa, Europe and the Americas. We ask our remote people to be available to overlap Melbourne office hours a few hours a day. The majority of our tech team are based in Australia or Europe so if you’re based in the Americas, the Oceania/European timing probably won’t work for you unless you’re willing to work odd hours. If you’re located in or near Melbourne, we’re flexible about how much of your week is spent in our offices.
IF YOU'RE READY TO APPLY
Press apply and you'll be taken to our ATS where you can attach your resume and cover letter and will be asked to complete an exercise.