Full Stack Engineer - Remote (EMEA)
We are looking for a brilliant Full Stack Engineer to join our Engineering Team. This is a unique opportunity to join a flat organization, collaborate fully remotely with a multidisciplinary team to make your impact in the freelance industry by developing new products and features.
We are a purpose-driven business. Everything we do stems from our desire to empower entrepreneurs to make bright ideas happen, building their business from the ground up and becoming financially and professionally independent.
PeoplePerHour is an invaluable resource for small businesses in the UK and outside — giving them access to expert freelance talent on-demand so they can stay lean and flexible while growing.
We’ve been growing the freelance economy since 2007, being one of the first pioneers of the now ubiquitous on-demand economy. Since then we’ve amassed a community of over 3m skilled freelancers, served almost 1.5m businesses across over 180 countries and paid out more than £150m to freelancers over the years.
Our mission is to empower entrepreneurs, with the use of our freelancer marketplace, to turn their bright ideas into reality.
We constantly push the boundary by launching new products, investing our organic profits in new product development not just on the PeoplePerHour platform but also others in adjacent markets serving more specialised use cases. TalentDesk.io is our latest example of that — an enterprise SaaS product that allows large corporations to manage all their freelance workforce easily and seamlessly in one place, at scale.
The way we do things at PeoplePerHour
We cannot revolutionize the job space without first starting a revolution ourselves. We encourage people around the world to collaborate and seek the assistance of highly motivated, talented individuals. We are PeoplePerHour and we champion this collaborative way of working.
Our Tech Stack
This is an outline of our current tech:
- Our web app is in ReactJS using Redux and supported by NodeJS
- Our Back end is in PHP using Yii, Laravel, and Lumen
- We use ReactNative for our mobile app
- All our applications are dockerized
- Our servers work on Kubernetes - the master of the universe!
- We like serverless technologies even more
- We use databases of all sorts to suit our needs: Aurora, ElasticSearch, Redis, DynamoDB.
- Data Science is our way to the future! Our projects run on Java and Python and also consume a number of third party tools!
About the role
You will contribute to our Frontend framework which consists of ReactJS as a view layer and Redux which manages our data and updates our UI. The whole framework is based on asynchronous and functional ES6 and ES7 code and with the help of SASS and PostCSS for styling, everything is bundled with the Webpack module bundler.
You will also contribute to our core application which is built with PHP using the Yii framework and extend our REST API that serves the ReactJS and ReactNative clients. The role involves writing code that interacts with several databases, mainly MySQL (Aurora), DynamoDb and ElasticSearch.
The final product is assembled and dockerized by the CircleCI pipeline.
- You act like an owner and are selfless while being accountable and goal-oriented.
- You are a team player and do not throw the ball over the fence.
- You love honesty, hate sugar coating and constantly try to raise the bar.
- You are proud of the code you produce. Admittedly, nothing is perfect so refactoring is your friend. You always like to leave the code better than you found it, in fact, it’s how you code every day.
Ideally, you’ll have
- Experience working in a large web application and deep understanding of how the web works.
- Experience in React.js, NPM and Webpack.
- Strong HTML/CSS skills especially using a post/pre-processor like LESS or SASS.
- Strong knowledge of HTTP(S) protocol and REST APIs.
- Good understanding of browser compatibility and their limitations.
- Good knowledge of NodeJS and its concepts.
- An understanding of Flux / Redux / unidirectional data flow.
- Good knowledge of PHP and Composer.
- Used at least one popular PHP framework, preferably Laravel and/or Yii.
- Experience using relational databases, preferably MySQL. Bonus point if you have any experience with ElasticSearch or other databases.
- Experience using Git and Docker to build applications.
- Be able and eager to contribute to Unit and integration tests.
- Be a confident user of debugging & profiling tools like Xdebug.
- Competitive salary with an annual pay review
- Remote work
- Access to enrichment opportunities
- A diverse and sociable team with a common goal
- EMEA remote
- Strong English communication skills needed
What should you do next?
If you feel this is the right role for you, please submit your CV.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, PeoplePerHour is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, colour, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.