Upbound.io is a cloud native computing startup on a mission to create the first open and community driven cloud computing platform. We are passionately leading a CNCF open source control plane effort, Crossplane.io, while building a commercial SaaS offering that enables enterprises to build, deploy and manage cloud native infrastructure for applications.
As a Distributed Systems Engineer at Upbound, you’ll design, build, and grow the open source Crossplane (https://crossplane.io/) project. Crossplane is the open and cloud native control plane based on Kubernetes, which was created by Upbound and is now a Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) Sandbox project. We are looking for a talented engineer, thoroughly embedded in the cloud native ecosystem, that can help deliver high quality and amazing new features, while helping contribute to the long term vision and success of the project and community.
In this role, you will be...
- A major contributor (and eventually maintainer) for the open source Crossplane project
- Taking ownership of features in high demand by the community to deliver new functionality that will delight and amaze our users
- Communicating thoughtful and thorough designs and architecture for new initiatives.
- Collaborating with the entire open source community, fostering a welcoming and supportive environment that users and contributors alike will love to be a part of
- Actively working with community users to support their adoption and success with Crossplane, digging in to troubleshoot and problem-solve to remediate issues in their deployments
- Reviewing and providing quality feedback on pull requests from other contributors to the project, we appreciate a keen eye for exceptional design, implementation, and craftsmanship
- Authoring documentation, user guides, and blog posts to support and promote new features that you release
- Representing the Crossplane project and serving as an ambassador for the community while engaging with other projects and partners in the cloud native ecosystem
- Supporting the full project lifecycle - discovery, analysis, architecture, design, review, documentation, building, migration, automation, and production-readiness
You are a good fit if you have...
- Written and maintained code that interfaces with the Kubernetes API, such as operators, controllers, add-ons, etc.
- Written multiple applications using Go and have a thorough understanding of its language features and idiomatic practices
- Managed production Kubernetes resources and deployments using tools and languages like Kubectl, Helm, or YAML
- Architected and deployed highly scaled and reliable services, solutions, and infrastructure in multiple major cloud providers
- Designed and implemented distributed systems in production while exercising deep knowledge of their principals, algorithms, and trade-offs
- Consistently taken multiple projects through the full software lifecycle from early designs to production deployments
- The ability to work closely with people in a wide variety of disciplines from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Successfully managed multiple projects and priorities in a fast paced and dynamic environment
It is a plus if…
- You are actively involved or have contributed to the upstream Kubernetes community
- You have contributed to and/or held leadership positions in other open source projects
- You have worked in a startup and distributed/remote team before, and understand the unique challenges of a startup environment
While building amazing technology is important, Upbound has an intense commitment to building a great culture. With company values like Champion Others, Be Collaborative, Stay on Target, Stay Hungry, Have Fun and Empower Others; you'll find yourself in a place where learning, growth, impact, and fun finally intersect. Similar to the open source community we serve, we look to each other to constantly iterate and improve on what we're building and you will be a key contributor in this effort.
We encourage people of all backgrounds, gender identities, ethnicities, ages, or any other descriptors that make you uniquely you, to apply with enthusiasm and confidence. Upbound is a place where you can be 100% comfortable being you.