We’re looking for a Backend Engineer (Assistant level) with Ruby on Rails knowledge. We're a small, ambitious team of experienced people based in Berlin working together on one of the most widely used software options designed to run coworking and flex spaces.
On a typical day, you’ll help analyze issues reported by customers, triage and fix bugs, run scripts for ad-hoc and bulk tasks, and build tools to automate support tasks. You’ll help maintain and extend the backend of Cobot for new features and its ecosystem of add-ons. You will be able to make a very direct impact on the quality of our product and the happiness of our customers.
You’ll get to work with and explore a well-tested, mature codebase comprised of multiple Ruby on Rails apps serving various REST APIs as well as HTML. Our stack includes a wide array of technologies like Ruby on Rails, RSpec, CouchDB, Postgres, Docker, Redis, Heroku, AWS, WebPack, Open API etc.
The programming challenges at Cobot are manifold, interesting, and varied. We are looking for a candidate who is curious to learn, eager to bring new knowledge and ideas onto our team, and loves to automate repetitive tasks that improve our team’s productivity make and our customers' lives easier. We are confident that with the many possibilities to learn and apply your skills you will be on track to reach Engineer level within 2 years.
You will be part of a team that genuinely cares about each other. Our developers understand that learning and sharing knowledge is a part of the job—one of the best parts. We strive for excellence in our work; an attitude that includes constantly improving our team culture to reflect our values such as inclusiveness and a healthy work-life balance. Read more on our website to understand how we put our words into action.
What you will be doing:
- Help to analyze bug reports to track down and fix those bugs
- Run custom scripts, for example, to analyze or migrate data
- Assist in building tools to automate support tasks such as data imports or migrations
- Communicate with our support team to help customers to solve their technical issues
- Work across teams with support, communications, and design specialists when shipping features and improvements
- Spec, write, test, and deploy code for new features, bug fixes, and improvements
- Take part in code reviews of team members to ensure high quality and continuous learning
- Take pride in your work, enjoy collaborating with your coworkers, and go home on time
This is an on-site job in Berlin. During the Covid-19 pandemic, you’ll have the option to work from home. We still provide an office if you prefer, and will continue to offer work-from-home opportunities after the pandemic.
In safer times for travel, a part of your job will include attending team off-sites, coworking industry events, and programming conferences.
What you need to bring:
- A completed Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science including fundamental Ruby and Rails knowledge OR at least 1 year’s paid experience working in a backend developer role using Ruby and Rails
- You are able to write and read Ruby
- Strong autonomy and ability to self educate
- Ability to recognize and apply Object-Oriented Programming Patterns
- Ability to combine error logs, code documentation, automated testing and logic reasoning to narrow down error causes.
- You have knowledge in automated testing (e.g. unit/acceptance testing)
- Ability to communicate effectively in English (our team language)
Bonus points if you have experience with:
- Working on consumer-facing products
- Git/GitHub workflow, including pull requests, is a plus
- Non-relational databases and especially CouchDB
- Using customer support platforms like Intercom
- Experience with DevOps (e.g. AWS, GitHub actions)
- JSON-API, Open API, JSON Schema
We recognize there is no "complete" candidate and that you may feel the need for further development in some areas. We encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
We welcome candidates enthusiastic about learning and growing. However you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply!
- Flexible work hours (32-40h/week) and a culture that respects your set hours
- Fair compensation
- A fund for education, i.e. conferences, books, courses, etc.
- Team lunches and activities, company retreats
- 25 days paid vacation per year
- Opportunities to contribute to open source projects
- Representation through a Works Council (Betriebsrat)
- We are proud to operate under a Code of Conduct designed by the team
- We encourage working from coworking spaces and accommodate temporary remote work
- Being on the forefront of the new work movement as part of a team that lives it, and provides Cobot as a tool to make collaborative work smoother