At Sonos we want to create the ultimate listening experience for our customers and know that it starts by listening to each other. As part of the Sonos team, you’ll collaborate with people of all styles, skill sets, and backgrounds to realize our vision while fostering a community where everyone feels included and empowered to do the best work of their lives.
Sonos is looking for a Senior UX designer to join our team that focuses on delivering products and experiences for the home theater category. This is a role that requires deep collaboration across creative and technical disciplines. As a hardware UX lead, this role is responsible for leading UX across the breadth of home theater experiences, designing the details of physical interactions with products and all of the nuanced behaviors that can make using those products just feel right. This role will partner closely with UX teams that are focused on configuration, content, control, power management and voice experiences across the Sonos platform.
What You’ll Do
- As the UX lead for home theater products, you will operate as the main point of contact for all things UX in hardware programs that can run for 2 years or longer, driving UX from the earliest incubation phase through design, development, product launch and beyond.
- You will develop and maintain deep subject matter expertise in the home theater category, and with creative and technical partners, you will drive ideas, vision, and execution for hardware products and experiences in service of the roadmap and company strategy.
- You will lead UX for the control surfaces on home theater hardware, partnering with industrial design in the implementation of our most up to date UI on the unique form factors for this category.
- You will go deep to understand the technical landscape of the Sonos system and the complexity of the home theater space, including CEC communication, HDMI connectivity, interoperability issues, audio codecs, latency complexity, and evolving home theater layouts.
- You will partner across UX teams in ensuring that we are delivering an easy and delightful comprehensive experience, including setup, onboarding, content, and control.
- You will work closely with cross-functional teams to design, test, refine and document easy and compelling user experiences, ensuring alignment with the overall Sonos
- You will provide detailed design specifications for new product experiences and iterative improvements to the Sonos platform, ensuring that specifications are detailed without becoming overly complicated.
- You will leverage and refine the overall Sonos UX design landscape, using existing toolsets and design libraries, while continually contributing to improving how we work.
- You will engage with the tools needed to get the job done, including Figma, Framer, JIRA and Confluence.
- You will collaborate effectively over distance, understanding and adapting to what it takes for a distributed team to be aligned and effective, with occasional travel to other Sonos offices for key team collaborations, project kick offs, or team offsites.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline, such as industrial design, user experience design, HCI
- The appetite to identify and solve complex technical and creative problems. You are a ‘maker’ and will be a driver in finding new ways to explore, prototype and test hardware UX concepts that are rooted in the physicality and statefulness of a product
- 5+ years of experience in user experience design and/or user interface design, preferably in the IoT space or for experiences that sit at the intersection of hardware and software.
- A current portfolio available for viewing demonstrating both the strategic and detailed work needed to ship products.
- Having a unique passion for and experience with home theater is preferred.