Alternatives is looking for a talented, collaborative designer to join our team. We are a
small group of highly motivated professionals helping brands and organizations get the
love they deserve, for 30+ years.
We are dedicated to strengthening the impression of everything our clients do across all forms of brand communication. We believe that brand values and authenticity create meaningful connection, and that every experience someone has with a brand has impact.
We are excited to offer the experience of working with a diverse and interesting range of clients across many types of business, from purpose-driven start-ups and non-profits, to Fortune 500 companies. We believe in the power of a collaborative team and encourage everyone to bring their unique talents to add to the interactive dynamic.
Position and logistics:
We are looking for designers with entry to mid-level experience. This is an in person
position, in a socially distanced work environment in a building housing only our team. Everyone here is fully vaccinated, and any new team member should be vaccinated
unless they are exempt for medical or religious reasons.
A typical day:
This position includes working on a variety of projects with a range of clients across
digital and print platforms. Timelines range from more strategic, long-term projects to
short-deadline requests, so the ability to be adaptive, shift from project to project and
work quickly when necessary is important. The office has a good work/life balance,
with limited after-hours work.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Designing and building digital marketing campaigns including emails, social ads, and
website pop ups
• Creating websites, from sitemap to designs and development/setup
• Brand identity design
• Design of print materials, including magazines, packaging, and signage
• Preparing and sending art to printers and manufacturers
• Creating visual product concept mockups
• Photo retouching
• Communicating professionally with clients
• Designing presentations, documents and templates in Microsoft Powerpoint and Word
• Development, design and implementation of Alternatives promotions including
marketing campaigns, website and portfolio updates
• Bachelor’s degree and experience in digital design, specifically designing and
• A strong, creative and strategic thinker who can provide solid and fresh ideas
• Strong knowledge of typography, color and visual communication
• Strong skills using Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, XD, After
Effects), HTML, SCSS/LESS (advanced CSS)
• An interested learner and listener, up-to-date on technology, design and
• Ability and interest in learning new technologies and skills as required
• Experience with CMS Systems such as Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, Square Space,
• Experience with web design prototyping tools such as Sketch
• Knowledgeable about search engine optimization practices and social media platforms
• Comfortable switching from design to development/coding
• Understanding of image optimization, effective layout, typography, usability and
accessibility standards for websites
• Ability to create animations in Photoshop or After Effects to enhance digital
• Some deeper programming knowledge to assist developer (Liquid, PHP, JQuery)
Any other skills such as professional experience in social media, print production,
editing, illustrations, etc. are welcome and a big plus!
Negotiable based on experience and skill levels