We’re Raisely! We help charities raise money online. Our platform helps charities build fundraising campaigns, run donation appeals, and nurture their supporters. We make it easy to get started and scale-up, without needing technical help.
We started Raisely because charities have been underserved by technology for too long. We set out to change that, and so far we’ve helped raise over $150m.
We’re a team of 20-turning-40 as we rapidly grow our company (and impact). With your help, we’re hoping to raise $1bn in the next few years and rapidly scale out, supporting charities small and large in countries across the world.
Oh and one more thing. We walk this impact talk. We’re a proud B-corp, and purpose is baked into our constitution. We’re carbon neutral, and we’re starting our anti-racism journey to ensure we’re actively undoing centuries of systemic racism.
Raisely is a unique product with many interesting technical challenges. At a glance:
- Raisely lets people take one-off and recurring donations to their own Stripe/PayPal accounts. We cover reporting, storage, and handling fraud prevention/security.
- Raisely has a comprehensive page-builder that our customers use to build their own fundraising websites. We supply a set of React components, campaign templates and page-building constructs. But we also allow our customers to write their own SCSS styles and custom React components, which means our engineering team supports a lot of permutations and customisation.
- Raisely tries to cover all the core needs of a fundraiser. Our product covers page builder, CRM, fundraising management and marketing automation. Our engineering team has the task of balancing the need to realise our ambitions while managing increasing complexity of our codebase.
- Raisely needs to operate at an ever increasing scale. We already facilitate millions of API requests each day, and expect that to continue growing exponentially.
A bit about the role:
We're looking for two Software Engineers to join the team. We're looking for people who believe that progressive organisations deserve better tools, and who approach their work through a customer-focused lens.
As part of a small feature team with 3-4 others, you’ll be responsible for developing our product, adding new features, paying down tech debt, and ensuring code works well in production. These roles can either be front-end, back-end or full stack. Most of our code is Node on the backend (with Postgres) and React on the frontend.
We can promise you a team full of engineers and designers who believe in the purpose of our work, and are always striving to improve our product, and our craft. If the scope of Raisely excites you, and you share a desire for purposeful work, we want to hear from you.
This is a full-time, permanent role. Raisely is a 100% remote company, you will be able to work from home or a co-working office. You’ll be mentored by, and report to, one of our Technical Leads.
Role: Permanent, full-time (38hrs/week)
Location: Remote (we’ll help you set up your home office!)
Timezone: Substantial overlap with Australian east-coast business hours at least 3 hours with Sydney/Melbourne time.
If you worked here over the past few months, you might have:
- Worked with your small team contributing to our major project. We generally work in 6 week cycles. We mostly allocate whole tasks to individuals, but we aim for a healthy level of discussion and problem solving together to make sure we're doing our best work.
- Built out a new React component that our customers can use in their campaigns to show how many steps a fundraiser has logged towards their exercise goal.
- Written a new backend controller for a new feature you’re adding, with 100% test coverage.
- Written a product pitch to upgrade a core part of Raisely's technology stack, or a feature for the next cycle.
- Run some load tests on our staging infrastructure and tweaked the scaling parameters on production to reduce latency when autoscaling.
- Participated in our week-long virtual retreat, where you learnt how sneaky your teammates can be in Among Us!
- Reviewed a handful of PRs that have been submitted by your teammates.
- Met with the engineering team to discuss the ongoing project and brainstorm solutions to the problems the team is experiencing.
- Be willing to jump in and investigate if our monitoring alerts us that the production service is experiencing higher than usual latency.
- Beat your teammates in trivia while wearing an elf costume.
Now about you....
You're passionate about solving problems with code
You have high technical competence. You're a capable engineer, you produce high quality code and consider the various permutations and edge-cases.
You're a manager-of-one
You don't need a manager to check in and direct your workflow, you'd prefer to work to broad expectations and manage your own time within that framework. You can identify when you need a hand, and won't hesitate to ask.
You see your work through to production
You finish what you start. You don't push up a PR and call it a day. You're happy to adjust that code in response to feedback, and prompt the team to help you see that code through to production.
You ship code
You understand that there's a balance between writing perfect code and actually shipping code. You can identify the right areas to persist and polish and the right areas to just get the job done.
You care about making a difference
Yeah, we’re all here because we want to make the world better (and by that we mean a carbon-neutral utopia with world peace and just laws, where all people are treated the same with equal opportunity to thrive). So you’ve gotta want that too!
Plus some key requirements we'll need
- A fluent English speaker with excellent written and verbal communication
- 2+ years experience working with Node and/or React in a SaaS environment
Ok, and why work with us?
You spend nearly 2000 hours of your life at work, each year. That’s a huge commitment, so we can promise that every hour you’re spending with Raisely, you’re making the world a better place. Pretty great perk, hey?
Plus, the more you help us grow, the bigger our impact gets. And by that we’re talking hundreds of millions of dollars big.
Working at Raisely is unique. If you have a great idea, we’ll help you make it happen. You'll play a pivotal role in the success of hundreds of fundraising campaigns on our platform, and help shape our company as we grow.
If you needed more convincing, here’s the rest of it:
💵 Salary – We try to pay above-average salaries anchored to similar jobs in Sydney, Australia. The salary for this role is between AU$99,000 - $127,000 (including 10% super for Australian employees) based on experience/seniority.
🏥 Healthcare – We will contribute up to US$3000 towards health insurance if you live in the US.
📈 Ownership – We are focussed on building Raisely as a team, so we’ll offer you the chance to be a part-owner of the company with our Employee Share Scheme.
💻 Technology – The usuals. We’ll get you a laptop and screen when you start, plus help you set up your home office.
✈️ Retreats – Every 6-ish months we fly you somewhere pretty for our team retreats. (Once we’re able to safely again)
🗺 Annual Leave/Sick Leave – Each year, everyone gets 4 weeks paid leave, 11 days paid public holidays, and 10 days personal/sick leave. We offer paid parental leave once you’ve been here a year.
🌴 Work remotely – We’re a remote-first company - live and work wherever you’re happiest. We’ll cover a co-working space if you’d like to work there.
⏰ Flexibility – We’ll work with you to figure out hours that work with you, and we’re flexible when life gets in the way.
🤷 Training – We’ll support you with time when you want to learn new skills or pay for conference or course tickets.
How to apply:
You’ve got this far! We really want to hear from you. To apply, email [email protected]
with your CV and cover letter. Use the subject line “Software Engineer”.
In your cover letter, include short answers to the following:
- What is it about this job that made you want to apply?
- We know you've probably run in to your fair share of odd bugs, what's the most interesting bug you've encountered, and what did you need to do to solve it?
- What's a piece of technology/library/framework that you think could be the next big thing? How come?
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis until we find the right person.
We know with diversity comes strength. We want Raisely to be a team of many cultures, nationalities, sexualities, gender identities, religious beliefs, abilities, and ideas. We particularly encourage Indigenous people, First Nations, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people with disabilities, or people without the economic advantage of higher education, to apply for our roles.