A Firmware Engineer at Breadware is responsible for defining the firmware solution architecture and development for wireless IoT devices. In this position you will be part of a team that focuses on the delivery of IoT systems using existing and new development requirements for a variety of customer projects. You have the knowledge and capabilities to create reliable architectures that command and control safety critical systems, and are responsible for the design from concept through sustainment. You will have the capability to understand and integrate engineering activities from other disciplines into the firmware development strategy to achieve overall project objectives. As with all engineers, there is accountability and expectations to deliver high quality designs from concept through production.
- Define system firmware architecture for micro-controllers, processors and FPGAs used in client products.
- Write device drivers for sensors used in client products.
- Write application firmware over the device drivers according to specifications in the FRD (Firmware Requirements Documentation).
- Design and implement quality and reliability tests for firmware in a reusable manner.
- Design and develop products using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and design consequences.
- Design products in a way which is easy to upgrade and caters to the possibility of future upgrades and feature additions without significant change in the hardware.
- Code and debug existing source code and refactor feature sets.
- Use Oscilloscopes and Multi-meters to debug hardware.
- Analyze risk involved in each stage of development and escalate problems in a timely manner.
- Solve postproduction bugs and suitably update the system in production.
- Help create user guides as requested by the customer.
- Be a core contributor to Project and Firmware Requirements Definition.
- Attend weekly internal and external project meetings.
- Rapidly but methodically down-select competing ideas to keep forward momentum.
- Balance feature addition against time to market requirements.
- Encourage adherence to product development process and documentation of engineering throughout design.
- Effectively document and communicate design decisions to team members.
- Provide general email support regarding any product related concern/question by the customer that relates to firmware.
- Assist the Engineering Manager in developing and executing department priorities.
- Lead technical team meetings with other firmware engineers.
- Conduct biweekly technical syncs with peers to troubleshoot project issues.
- Lead by example and mentor new engineers in high quality design practices, Breadware procedures, and communication skills.
- Review product design and analyses of team members and provide technical advice and direction.
- Help to manage and develop facilities and infrastructure required for success.
- Participate in peer code reviews.
- Be receptive to diverse team ideas and collaborate on the creation of new products.
- Effectively create and gather consensus on technical approaches from team members.
- Contribute to Breadware's internal Hardware Abstraction Layer (a common firmware/software resource used across projects)
- Update or create overarching guidance documents on the execution of the product development process.
- Assist the Sales team with project RFQ estimations and/or early architecture as needed.
- Track and record engineering time, by project, using timekeeping software.
- Perform any additional duties requested by the Engineering Manager.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering (or equivalent) from an accredited college or university.
- 7+ years of relevant firmware design experience.
- Working knowledge of MS Office software.
- Experienced in at least one modern programming language: e.g. C, C++, Micropython.
- Experience creating cyber-physical systems capable of sensing conditions and acting on information efficiently.
- Knowledge of software version control practices using git or a similar version control system.
- Familiarity with Bluetooth protocols.
- Hands-on electrical or PCB experience.
- Sensors or sensor algorithm development and implementation.
- Experience with analysis of datasets.
- Ability to model and create sensor systems.
- Travel to branch locations, customer sites, and conferences may be required.
- Extended working hours may be needed at peak times or when short staffed.
- We value the diversity of the people we hire and serve. Diversity at our company means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected, and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person's talents and strengths.
- This is an exempt, salaried position. The starting salary range is between $100,000-$120,000, depending on experience.
- Position is adaptable to be 100% remote.
Breadware offers a comprehensive benefits program that includes group health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, paid time off, paid holidays, a 401(k) plan with a guaranteed match, paid parental leave, a wellness rewards program, and much more.
We are an employee-owned company with profit-sharing and an Employee Stock Ownership Plan ("ESOP"), in which shares of company stock are allocated to eligible employees each year.
Our "Own It" mindset captures what many of us consider the biggest benefit of all a highly engaged, collaborative workplace where everyone matters and every employee has a huge impact.