What you will do
Our customers trust us to provide critical infrastructure for their
distributed IoT fleets, and we work hard to continuously improve the
availability, resilience, and efficiency of our systems and services.
Our reliability team takes an “Infrastructure as Product” approach and
plays a key role in shaping the future of the balena platform. They are
part operators and part product builders.
As a member of the team, you will ensure the smooth day-to-day
running of the infrastructure powering the large and rapidly scaling
“balena fleet”. You will facilitate frictionless deployments to
production, develop monitoring solutions, create disaster recovery
plans, investigate incidents, and manage outages. You will also be
empowered to lead initiatives and develop systematic solutions to
high-impact, high-complexity challenges such as building our
self-service capabilities – enabling the success of both our product
development teams and our end-users.
- Identify internal user needs, bottlenecks, and failure patterns in
production, and build tools, solutions, and features to allow teams to
self-serve, deploy, and manage services at scale
- Implement monitoring systems to collect health data, set error alerts, and increase app behavior visibility
- Leverage data model definitions to automatically generate code for provisioning reliable infrastructure
- Support developers with seamless, fault-tolerant deployments and production debugging
- Conduct load tests to ensure applications are ready to handle projected traffic
- Respond to incidents, drive blameless postmortems, and leverage learnings to prevent future issues
- Participate in on-call rotation and customer support – be a source of reliability advice for peers
This is a fully remote position for candidates in Americas timezones.
- Background in software development, infrastructure, and/or platform operations
- Experience working with Docker containers and running production-grade Kubernetes clusters
- Firm grasp of Linux operating system internals (e.g., filesystems,
system calls) and networking including common networking failures and
- Proficiency in at least one programming language (we mostly use Typescript)
- Desire to make self and others more effective through documentation and automation
- Ability to manage ambiguity, push through friction, and solve complex challenges while clearly explaining the tradeoffs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and fluency in English
- Experience designing large-scale, distributed systems and server load balancing architectures
- Experience with modern SRE practices and the Twelve Factor App methodology
- Conversant with cloud automation, APM, and log management (we use Grafana, Prometheus, Loki)
- Contributions to OSS projects and community involvement
- Familiarity with IoT, embedded computing, developer tools, or the balena platform as a user/contributor
- Background in leading projects and working across functions to build resilient systems
Make sure to let us know if any of these items apply to you!
Who we are
Balena is a highly distributed company that has embraced a remote-first approach since 2013. We are a group of individuals from across the globe working together to achieve our mission: “reduce friction for fleet owners and unlock the power of physical computing”. For us, this means removing the barriers to entry for developing IoT products, whether that’s easing software deployments with balenaCloud, simplifying image flashing with balenaEtcher, or offering our own hardware based
on our experience seeing thousands of devices running in production. We
are developing an end-to-end solution that makes it easy for developers
to build applications at the Edge.
How we work
- We place trust and autonomy in our team to own the outcome of their work.
- We practice radical candor and transparency with open, honest, and clear communications.
- We embrace first-principles thinking and constantly challenge our assumptions.
- We organize ourselves based on the best use of our collective
abilities to solve our highest priority problems at any given time,
rather than by a strict hierarchy or departments.
- We’re not afraid to fail as long as we learn from our mistakes.
- We’re always looking for common patterns that allow us to reduce complexity.
- We embrace short-term pain for long-term gain, building products that will stand the test of time.
- Work with a talented and globally distributed team
- Equipment of your choice
- Flexible vacation policy
- Annual company gathering in an international location
- We send you hardware for side projects!