Shorthand is a growing company that provides an innovative digital publishing platform to many of the world’s best known publishers, brands, not-for-profits, and universities. With customers on every continent (except Antarctica!), there’s never been a more exciting time to join Shorthand.
We’re a fully remote workplace with staff across Australia, New Zealand, the USA and more.
As a product designer at Shorthand you will join a small but growing team who are passionate about innovation in digital storytelling.
Reporting to the Director of Design, you will work closely with the design and product team, software engineers and others on designing and improving the Shorthand product to help our customers tell their stories in new and engaging ways.
We don’t create our designs and throw them over the fence to be developed - we work cross-functionally to conceptualize and iterate on solutions.
We are looking for someone based in Australia with exceptional verbal and written communication skills in English.
What you’ll be doing:
- Helping to fully understand our customers' needs and balance them with those of the business.
- Working collaboratively on delivering effective UI solutions.
- Helping to create innovative storytelling features that enable our customers to easily tell their stories in new and engaging ways.
- Helping to build and evolve our UI library.
What we’re looking for:
- A digital portfolio that demonstrates a high standard of problem solving and execution.
- A minimum of 3 years professional experience, ideally on a web-based SaaS product.
- Experience designing UI that turns complex problems into elegant, responsive solutions that are simple to use and understand.
- Experience doing basic user research, as well as testing concepts with users.
- Experience using Figma (or similar) to create interactive prototypes and design artefacts that clearly articulate concepts.
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience with cross-functional collaboration and communication.
- Experience working remotely would be desirable.
- Experience or interest in implementing your designs in code. This is not a dev role but having enough understanding of how your work is implemented and the ability to assist engineers in polishing the final solution is highly desirable.
- Applications without cover letters will be ignored so hopefully you’ve read this far :)
- We’ll review your cover letter, CV and portfolio and contact anyone we think might be a good fit for an initial Zoom call with the Director of Design.
- If the first interview goes well you’ll progress to chatting individually with the three other people on the hiring team for this role (Director of Product, UX Researcher & Product Engineer).
- Successful candidates will then be asked to do a small work test, which you will be compensated for if you don’t end up being hired for the role.
- The hiring team will review the work test and then make an offer to the preferred candidate.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary.
- Flexible hours.
- Opportunity to work in a small, high growth SaaS company where your voice will be heard.
- Fully remote working, with allowance for co-working space if required.
- Allowance for setting up your home office.
- Health and Wellness fund to support a healthy lifestyle.